We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich to Venice

Zeeland, Mi
11 posts
Zurich to Venice

My wife and I will be travelling to Zurich in mid to late April 2007 to visit my sister who will be living there. We are thinking about taking a trip to Venice for a few day's while we are over there, and are trying to find the best/cheapest way to get there. We are open to any suggestions as we have been looking at air/rail/car. Any suggestions and time frames to get to Venice for each option?? Thanks in advance.

Best Seller
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,088 Reviews
from USD 164.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
393 Reviews
from USD 252.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,104 Reviews
from USD 252.30*
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,368 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Zurich to Venice

Hi MichiganGuy,

The train between Zurich & Venice will be about 7-8 hours, but there is a direct overnight train that will save you time. The cheapest way would be just to buy a seat and try to get some sleep, or you could upgrade for a couchette or even a sleeping cabin. Train schedules are at www.rail.ch.

I checked at www.whichbudget.com and didn't see any flights linking the two cities. You may be able to find a regular airline that flies between the two though.

I would take the train --

s

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,849 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Zurich to Venice

Hi Swandav,

I have been on the night train from Venice to Zürich last year - there are no seats anyway, only T6 and T4 couchettes. No private sleepers either (unless they changed it within this time). I was on the T4 couchette and found it very pleasant compared with, say, the CityNightLine trains to northern Germany - a bit dated but comfortable (while CNL are super modern but incredibly uncomfortable). I think a T4 couchette costs about 30 Fr more than a day train ticket.

In any case, if you have some more time, take a train during the day so you see the Gotthard line and the 1880's engineering marvels in the landscape. Even if you visit again in a few years, the train line won't offer the mountain views any more - the Gotthard base tunnel will bring Milano and Zürich much closer (2 1/2 h travel time instead of 4 1/2 today) but with a charme of a subway line and about the same views.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Zurich to Venice

I would take the night train to and a day train from. Here is a webpage with information about a night train from Zürich to Venice. mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/europareisen/lae…

The prices may change in 9 months but this will give you idea of the possibilities. Click on the types of compartments highlighted in 'Blue' and a picure will pop up.

Have your sister buy the train tickets perhaps 10 days in advance.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
260 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Zurich to Venice

Since you plan in 2007, airline schedules may have changed and there may be flights. Otherwise take the train -- but do make sure you have advanced bookings. I assume 6 mos in advance should ensure you get the place you need.

enjoy!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,849 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Zurich to Venice

pastaS,

I really doubt you can buy a train ticket 6 months in advance. Even if you want to travel around easter or pentecost weekends 4-6 weeks in advance should be more than enough.

Queenscliff...
Level Contributor
164 posts
96 reviews
6. Re: Zurich to Venice

Hi we are from Australia and doing the same trip with our 14 year old daugher. Was just wondering what you could advise us?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,849 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Zurich to Venice

>Was just wondering what you could advise us?

Read the thread.

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
292 reviews
8. Re: Zurich to Venice

Look at www.swiss.com and you will find rates up from CHF 135.--

pore

ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Zurich to Venice

i'm wondering which website would I look under to find the night venice to zurich train mentioned or if anyone can advise a picturesque half way stop between the two, so I can break up the journey and see a bit more? I am travelling at the end of March.

Thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,368 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: Zurich to Venice

For owla:

website for trains:

www.rail.ch

www.cisalpino.com