We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Shopping; Lucerne or Interlaken-Ost?

houston
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Topic
Grocery Shopping; Lucerne or Interlaken-Ost?

Hi everyone,

On my arrival day, I'll go to Wengen via Lucerne. Plan to do my grocery shopping at the Co-op at Interlaken-Ost. Would it be cheaper or with more variety that worths the carry if I do it in Lucerne?

Appreciate your advice.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Shopping; Lucerne or Interlaken-Ost?

Much easier to do it at Coop at Interlaken Ost. Prices as good or better than Lucerne, great selections.

houston
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Shopping; Lucerne or Interlaken-Ost?

Kimsanjose- Thank you very much! That'd be perfect!

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Shopping; Lucerne or Interlaken-Ost?

You will also be surprised at the range of groceries you can buy at the Coop and Frischmarkt in Wengen. They both have a nice range of produce (although not as extensive as in Interlaken), meats cut in individual portions (think veal cutlets or chicken breasts -- you need to go to Interlaken for something like a pork roast), wines/liquors (good selection but not as extensive as Interlaken Coop), and all the basics. Get your dairy products at the cheese shop in Wengen. Ask for the local yogurts and milks. Positively divine, but they keep them in the back and you have to know about it and ask specifically (I've never figured out why). The Wengen Coop even has very good breads and there is a bakery in the center of Wengen village. So unless you want something rather unusual or special you can even skip the Interlaken Coop and go straight up the hill. Less stuff to schlepp up!

houston
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Shopping; Lucerne or Interlaken-Ost?

This's even better :). So I might just pick up a couple bottle of wine at Interlaken Ost. Thanks kimsanjose!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Shopping; Lucerne or Interlaken-Ost?

Sorry to butt into the conversation but kimsanjose - do you know what the coop on Murren is like for variety?

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Shopping; Lucerne or Interlaken-Ost?

Much smaller but good for staples and a few other things. There is also a bakery in Muerren.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Shopping; Lucerne or Interlaken-Ost?

Much smaller but good for staples and a few other things. There is also a bakery in Muerren.

8. Re: Grocery Shopping; Lucerne or Interlaken-Ost?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 15:19