We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich airport/Train Station

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Flagler Beach
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Zurich airport/Train Station

I am flying to Zurich and connecting to Munich via train from the ZRH train station. I have a bit of a layover, so I booked a day room to rest and shower. They told me that I would not be able to bring my luggage with me to the room...something about being in/out of the transit area.

The day rooms are in transit area D, and I think the luggage storage facility is by car park 2.

Can anyone help me with the logistics--I'm not sure I will still be in the transit area after I pick up my luggage, and think that the luggage storage area is also out of the transit area. If I Ieave the transit area to store my luggage, will I be able to get back in without a flight boarding pass and only a train ticket?

I think I can store my bags in the train station, but face the same question-- can I get back into transfer area D with only a train ticket and no boarding pass?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

g.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
47,078 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich airport/Train Station

Hi there,

Bad idea. These

zurich-airport.com/desktopdefault.aspx/…

are in the airport transit zone and meant for people with onward flight. You could access them if you postpone picking up your luggage from the belt for quite a few hours (until you exit the airport and go to the train), BUT then your luggage is either grabbed by some airport employee as 'unclaimed' and would take quite a struggle to get back or, worse even, grabbed by a thief. Don't do it, cancel the room, and find a transit hotel or the like outside the transit zone. Won't be as cheap I'm afraid...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Flagler Beach
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich airport/Train Station

Thank you for confirming my fears about the logistics. Will take your advice and cancel the room.

G.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich airport/Train Station

Hi, It would be simplest and easier on the jet lag, to head for the main train station, stick what you don't need during the layover into a locker, head for the shower room (on the level with the lockers) and then have a lovely walk through the old town w/ a stop for a meal, etc. When it gets closer to train time, head back, get your belongings from the locker and head for Munich.

Flagler Beach
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich airport/Train Station

Thank you. I decided not to do the day room and will instead store my luggage in the train station locker and shower at McClean (love that name!). Do appreciate your reply.

g.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich airport/Train Station

The shower at McClean including towels and gel will cost 12 Francs. If you own an intern. 1st class train ticket you can take usage of the SBB lounge: sbb.ch/en/…sbb-lounge.html

Perhaps you can leave your baggage there while you're taking a shower, but ask!

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Zurich airport/Train Station

just to get an impression: http://www.mcclean.ch/de/mcl_04.php

Flagler Beach
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zurich airport/Train Station

Thank you. You mentioned holding an internal 1st class train ticket...I do have 1st class, but to Germany. Will that suffice for lounge access?

Flagler Beach
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zurich airport/Train Station

Duh...you meant international, not internal. Silly me. Thanks for the tip.

gayle

Flagler Beach
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zurich airport/Train Station

do you know if the mc clean provides hair dryers?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Zurich airport/Train Station

> you meant international, not internal.

Yes ;)

> do you know if the mc clean provides hair dryers?

Yes, I think so.