We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich and Mt. Titlis.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Zurich and Mt. Titlis.

In the end of May, we will be in Zurich for 2.5 days and would like to see the city and Mt. Titlis. We have a few questions and need some advice on our itenary.

We arrive in Zurich on a saturday at 11 am and head out to Venis on a 8:10 flight on Tuesday. I will be traveling with my husband and 9 year old son.

We are debating on weather to stay in Zurich and do a day trip to Mt. Titlis and back. or spend one nigh in Lucern/Engleberg?

If we decide to spend one nigh in Lucern/Englrburg which city would you sugest?

1. How easy will it be to get from one of these cities to the airport to catch an 8:10 flight (keep in mind we will have some luggage)? We do not have a car, so please also advice on how long this trip will take and how much will it cost and what the best mode of transport will be. If train is what you suggest, I'm assuming there will be train connections very early in the morning to the airport.

Any hottel suggestions are welcome too.

2. What kind of train pass should we buy for the family to go around Zurich and Mt. titlis for 2.5 days? I have read some thing about a 'Half fare card' what is this?

3. I thinking Monday might be the better day to do Mt. titlis, as the crowds will be less, is that correct? I've read some reviews which say the tours to Mt. Titlis begin at 10am from Lucern. Does that mean we cannot go earlier to 10am to Mt. Titlis? If we can go earlier, whats the earliest time we can go and whats the latest time we can come back? I ask this guestion incase tehre is a first/last time for the cable cars or trains.

4. If we go early to Mt Titlis, will we have time to do something in Lucern/Engleburg? What would you suggest we do. interested in seing some countryside and catching sight of a few animals like cows sheep etc or anything to keep a 9year olds attention.

5. As a tourist in Zurich for only a day or too. Any suggestions on what area or hotel we should stay in? Something close to the station and direct connection to the airport will be nice. We do plan to get bikes and bike around if possible or go on a guided bike tour of the city.

6. How long does it take from the airport to zurich?

Any advice and ways to save$$$ are welcome. Thanks.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,793 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich and Mt. Titlis.

Hi umpa01

If you would like to move your basel to Lucerne (one hour from the airport b train) I think you should do it after arrival. So you would not need to move base.

Did you already book your flight to Venice? Over all it would not be much longer to go there by train from either Lucerne or Zurich.

The tours to Mt. Titlis - www.titilis.ch - are organized bus tours. Don't do that. You better go on your own there is at least one train, bus or boat per hour from everywhere to everywhere in Switzerland.

For your transfer to Lucerne open www.sbb.ch/en and input from Zurich-Airport to Lucerne, the date and the departure or arrival time and you will get the trains listed which circulate there. If you open one of them you can press the buy button and you see how much the fare is.

If you want to see the timetable from Zurich main station (Zürich HB) to Mt. Titlis just input from "Zurich HB" (or the adress of your hotel at Zurich) to "Mt. Titlis" and you will get all the details you need.

For railpasses look at www.swisstravelsystem.ch where you will find all the informations you may need. You will need to dm the maths to know if it's worth the money. If this is all you are going to travel in Switzerland I would think normal point to point tickets will do. A half fare card is what it says, you buy it and travel for half the price. If you buy any pass you can get a free family card which alows your 9 year old to travel for free with you.

1. See www.sbb.ch/en

For hotels at Lucerne look at www.luzern.com all the available hotels and B&B are listed there.

2. See above

3. Maybe you are right. The area is pritty large so not think there will be such important files (it's not Disney Land).

4. Yes, see timetables of the railway. I would recommend you visit the old town of Lucerne. There is a map on www.luzern.com which shows you where the attractions are.

5. See www.zuerich.ch (you can rent bikes at any larger railway station in Switzerland). For Lucerne they would not help as all is close together.

6. 10 minutes by train

For your $$$savings: Have lunch and picknick in the evening. Larger railway station have alsways restaurants with cheap priced meals. Also Coop and Migros as well as Manora restaurants are cheaper then others.

Have fun

pore

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich and Mt. Titlis.

Thank you pore for all the links and detailed info, this is very helpfull!

Yes we already have our flight booked to Venice. So I'm just looking at the cheapest way to get around zurich. You are correct, indivigual train tickets might be the best. The half price card is 110CHF. and may not be worth our travel needs.

1. Some people talk about a day pass. is there something like this? if yes do you know the price of it?

2. Also if buying indivigual tickets, do you know if children travel for free?

3. You adviced to do Mt Titlis after arrival. Do you know what time the last cable car/gondola leaving the top of the mountain is at? Wondering if we can do it in 1/2 a day. As our flight arrives at 11. I'm estimating it will be 4pm by the time we check into a hotel and get to the top of the mountain.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,793 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich and Mt. Titlis.

Hi umpa01

1. You can get a day pass in addition to the Swiss Pass or the Swiss Saver Pass. This is the day pass. If you do not have any Swiss Pass day passes are not available.

2. For children below the age of 16 you can get a family card. It is free if you own a Swiss Pass or a half fare pass. It costs CHF 20.-- if you do not have such a pass.

3. No, I say you shall not do a tour with a tour operator but do it on your own as it is very easy. You can get more information about this mountain on www.titlis.ch (where you also find timtables of these cable cars. I never recommend to go to higher elevations just after arrival. Mt. Titlis is over 3000 meters.

After check in you better visit your base.

pore

4. Re: Zurich and Mt. Titlis.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 01:42