We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day Zurich trip with Rhine falls and luzern

Dhaka
Level Contributor
93 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
2 day Zurich trip with Rhine falls and luzern

Hello

I am planning to stay 2 days in Zurich. On day one planning to go to Rhine falls, and on day to day trip to Lucern.

I will buy a 9 o clock day pass.

My question is which station to get down from Zurich, so that its covered under the day pass and I do not have to buy any other ticket?

If I do take the day pass instead, which i think Is valid for 24 hour can I use it next morning before 9? Which station should I start on my way to lucern for the lowest fare from Zurich? Or is it same?

Thanks a lot in advance

Ansar

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Best Seller
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,067 Reviews
from USD 163.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,087 Reviews
from USD 250.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
387 Reviews
from USD 250.60*
4 replies to this topic
Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day Zurich trip with Rhine falls and luzern

For details on Zurich 9 o'clock day pass see https:/…9-oclock-daypass.html - "valid Monday to Friday from 9am to 5am on the following day"

Zone maps are at https:/…zone-maps.html

Zoomable train network map is available at https://maps.trafimage.ch/ - fastest trains Zurich to Lucerne go via Thalwil. More scenic detour is via Rapperswil, Voralpen-Express direct train to Lucerne.

For timetable and ticket prices use www.sbb.ch/en - make sure to get full fare prices when comparing (not the default half fare price ticket).

Edited: 22 April 2018, 01:49
Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Dhaka
Level Contributor
93 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day Zurich trip with Rhine falls and luzern

Thanks a lot jm2cents.

I can see there are two ways, first to Schaffhausen, and then another train to falls which doesn't cover under 9 o clock pass. Or to Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall, via Winterthur which does cover.

If I wanted to spend some time in a town,Schaffhausen or Winterthur which will be better? Is Schaffhausen itself covered under the pass, and I will only have to pay the trip from Schaffhausen to the Falls?

Ansar

Mentioned in this post
Schaffhausen
Schaffhausen
Canton of Schaffhausen, Switzerland
Schloss Laufen
Schloss Laufen
199 Reviews
Dachsen, Switzerland
Winterthur
Winterthur
Zurich, Switzerland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day Zurich trip with Rhine falls and luzern

9* clock day pass only cantone Zürich,its not valide to Rheinfall and Luzern.

Buy a DAY PASS around 45 Fr. you can travell same day to rheinfall and luzern

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Dhaka
Level Contributor
93 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day Zurich trip with Rhine falls and luzern

To sum up, m 2 day plan is

Day one: reach Zurich, drop luggage at Airbnb( Adliswil) and go to Rhinefall via SLAR station through Winterthur. Same way back. Explore Zurich the rest of the day.

Day two: Early morning visit Lucerne, be back by 5/6 pm. Explore Zurich the rest of the day.

I am thinking 9 o clock pass for day 1( should cover the whole Rhinefall trip n back), currently 26 FR.

For day 2, will book point to point ticket to Lucerne. Hopefully will get superaver ticket.

Will it be better to get 24 hr all zone day pass instead? It's 34 fr, but I can use I on day two morning, going from adliswil ( my address) to Zurich, as it is valid for 24 hour. Will that be a good idea?

Ansar

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Adliswil
Adliswil
Zurich, Switzerland
Winterthur
Winterthur
Lucerne