We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Railway pass recommendations

Ottawa, Canada
1 post
Swiss Railway pass recommendations

Hello everyone

So we are planning a Swiss Trip in July 2018, I have read a lot of forums and have also visited the Swiss rail website, but still am confused and have a lot of questions about what is the best railway pass to opt for while travelling in Switzerland. Looking to get some recommendations for a railway pass for my itinerary as follows (P.S - itinerary improvisations are appreciated as well :-))

So we are 2 adults - Me and my wife

Land in Zurich - 7.50 am in the morning

Day 1 - Zurich to Wengen via Lucerne (as I have read the route is scenic)

Visit local restaurants, shop and walk around in Wengen

Day 2 - Day Trip from Wengen to Jungfraujoch and back

Day 3 - Wengen to Lucerne

Visit local restaurants, shop and walk around in Lucerne

Day 4 - Lucerne to Mt Titlis ( is it a cable car? or a Train route?)

Day 5 - Lucerne to Zurich

Visit local restaurants, shop and walk around in Zurich

Day 6 - Fly out of Switzerland

So as far as I see, I have the following rail trips

1 - Zurich to Wengen via Lucerne

2 - Wengen to Jungfraujoch and back (Day Trip)

3 - Wengen to Lucerne

4- Lucerne to Mt Titlis and back (Day Trip)

5 - Lucerne to Zurich

What pass suits best keeping in mind its the 2 of us, would the half fare card be economical or the Swiss Travel Pass?

I would have 3 large bags and 2 hand bags in total including both me and my wife, would it be too inconvenient to travel with this much of a luggage? Do I need to shorten the trip and rather stay at 1 location and relax?

Open to all ideas. Thank you

5 replies to this topic
Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Swiss Railway pass recommendations

You will need to do the maths. One day in a location reduces the odds of fine weather for mountain visits. Don’t just assume you will be able to visit Jungfraujoch on day 2 and Tiltlis on day 4 so have a Plan B.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
9,054 posts
1 review
2. Re: Swiss Railway pass recommendations

The Half Fare Card is probably best. But do reconsider the amount of luggage you are bringing. You will need to handle your luggage yourself.

3 suitcases for 2 adults seems a lot to me.

Do consider just staying in one place and indeed relaxing and exploring. Do not expect the weather to cooperate with your plans.

Edited: 11 April 2018, 20:13
paris london
Level Contributor
5,395 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Swiss Railway pass recommendations

The Half Fare Card will certainly save over full price single tickets (tip - if your travel includes a Jungfraujoch trip and an airport return trip, the Half Fare Card will be economical), but bear in mind this is discount card not a pass - you still have to buy individual tickets.

As for whether a pass will be better, I doubt it since your journeys are relatively short and you are doing only one per day most days.If you know your travel times, saver tickets may help save money.

Poughkeesie, ny
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
4. Re: Swiss Railway pass recommendations

I'm pretty much considering the same trip. 7 nights. Was also wondering is it better staying in Wengen for 6 and Zurich for one night before departing. Or to spend 2 days at Lucerne and 4 at Wengen? I believe it is a 45 to hour train ride from Wengen to Lucerne?

Edited: 12 April 2018, 00:00
Chico, California
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Swiss Railway pass recommendations

Deucedown:

It is a 3 hour train ride from Wengen to Lucerne. You can research all train schedules at www.sbb.ch

I recommend staying put in Wengen. There are 2 rules of thumb about traveling in the region:

1. Two nights in one base = one day in that base

2. Every time you change a base you lose a day with all of the logistics.

KennyG3003:

I agree completely with KristV's comments. My recommendation is also to stay in one place rather than moving around so much. My pick would be Wengen. Half Fare Card is your friend. And try to reduce the number of bags you are bringing.

Reply to: Swiss Railway pass recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wengen