We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decision on where to stay in Jungfrau region.

Level Contributor
23 posts
Decision on where to stay in Jungfrau region.

Hi

Me and my wife will be visiting Switzerland from 29th May till 4th June. We are in our late 20s. Our tentative itinerary is 29th night landing in Geneva from Nice. 30/5 and 31/5 in Jungfrau region. 1/6, 2/6 in Lucerne. 3/6 either we'll go for Bernina line. Over night in Lugano/Tirano. Or stay in around Lucerne. 4/6 : train to Venice.

We are planning not to stay in Interlaken but make some small town/village as our base for Jungfrau region. I would like to know which can be the best option for this. Our idea is to visit Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn in two days and explore the area like water falls etc.

I have Wengen, Grinderwald, Murren and Lauterbrunnen in mind. Heard Wengen has negative temperatures in June? Whereas other places have around 8-15 C?

We would also like to go for paragliding? Is there any option like this from these small towns or do we have to go to Interlaken for this? What about Lucernce, will we find paragliding there?

Will these excursions be depending on good weather. What else can be done in case of bad weather?

Thanks in advance. It will help us a lot in finalizing our itinerary.

Asif

Level Contributor
23 posts
1. Re: Decision on where to stay in Jungfrau region.

Please advice for the possible activities and areas to visit as well.

Read at one of the post that Jungfraujoch will not take more than half a day and that day can be utilized for visiting other towns in Jungfrau region.

How much will Schilthorn take from Wengen or Lauterbrunnen?

Thanks and Regards

Asif

W. Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Decision on where to stay in Jungfrau region.

It would be unusual for Wengen to have negative temps in June but anything is possible in the mountains. I'd recommend Lauterbrunnen for your stay. It's early in the season and Lauterbrunnen is very centrall located and the Hotels open a little earlierfor the summer season.

From Lauterbrunnen you can take the Post bus to Stechelberg where you catch the Schilthornbahn cablecar. The ride to the top takes about 40 min.

There is a parasailing company in Lauterbrunnen just past the church on the valley road.

Maryland
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Decision on where to stay in Jungfrau region.

I agree. Lauterbrunnen would be my choice. We are heading back there is September and have stayed in Lauterbrunnen several times. Easy to get to Murren or Wengen. Lots of hike possibilities, easy and more difficult. Hotel Starbach is a great hotel. Check out the Hotel Horner, corner pub, for great food and fun.

Level Contributor
23 posts
4. Re: Decision on where to stay in Jungfrau region.

Hi

Thanks for your useful replies. I really appreciate.

Regarding our stay in Jungfrau, I am more leaned towards Wengen as we are very fond of snow covered peaks and mountains instead of cliffs and water falls. I hope Wengen justifies this choice. Also we are able to get better hotel deals in Wengen.

My only concern is transport to Wengen, I can see trains running all night long to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen, so shouldne be an issue. What about internal village transport? Like from station to hotel. Or there is no need as such as it will be a small place only?

We'll be reaching Jungfrau on 30th may from Geneva, our plan is to take the golden pass panoramic train from montreux to interlaken and then to Wengen. We'll be reaching Wengen by 11ish, will be it be feasible to do Scholthorn or Jungfraujoch in the same day or is it too much to ask for? I understand the weather is clear mostly in early mornings only and no point to go if weather isn't clear.

For revolving restaurant in Schilthorn do we need to make any prior bookings? Also how much will it cost there ?

31st and 1st June we' ll be Jungfrau. 2nd And 3rd in Luzern.

Awaiting your valuable replies

Thanks and regards

Asif

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Decision on where to stay in Jungfrau region.

>What about internal village transport? Like from station to hotel. Or there is no need as such as it will be a small place only?

It's a village of less than 2000 inhabitants. What kind of internal transport do you expect? tehre are electrical taxis available, but unless you have los of heavy luggage or are handicapped / infirm, you can walk from one end of the village to the other in about 10 minutes.

>We'll be reaching Wengen by 11ish, will be it be feasible to do Scholthorn or Jungfraujoch in the same day or is it too much to ask for?

Jungfrau may be possible (depending on the weather - but it still takes quite a while to get up to the Jungfraujoch). To get to Schilthorn, you would have to leave your luggage in Lauterbrunnen and take the postal bus to Stechelberg, or cable car/train combo to Mürren, and then up to Schilthorn - it is on the oppsote side of the valley from Wengen.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 00:02
Level Contributor
23 posts
6. Re: Decision on where to stay in Jungfrau region.

Thanks altamiro for your suggestion. Dropping of bags at Lauterbrunnen for Schilthron is an excellent idea.

Any comments on "For revolving restaurant in Schilthorn do we need to make any prior bookings? Also how much will it cost there ?"

Thanks and regards

Asif

7. Re: Decision on where to stay in Jungfrau region.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Jungfrau Region