We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Jungfraujoch from Bern

Level Contributor
2 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Jungfraujoch from Bern

Hello,

My wife and I are visiting Geneva and Bern and are considering making a day trip to Jungfraujoch during our stay in Bern. Our plan would be to pick up Swiss Half Fare Card for use on these trips:

Geneva > Bern

Bern > Interlacken Ost

Interlacken Ost > Jungfraujoch

Jungfraujoch > Interlacken Ost

Interlacken Ost > Bern

Bern > Geneva

It looks like it would save us about 140 CHF, if, as I understand from the SSB sites, that we would be able to use the Swiss Half Fare Card to get 50% off the Interlacken Ost > Jungfraujoch return ticket. Is the Swiss Half Fare Card the best option for our travels?

I assume we can buy the passes at Geneva central station?

And would approximately 5 hours be enough time at Jungfraujoch? We'd probably leave Bern on the 8:04 train and arrive Jungfraujoch at 11:22. Would then likely catch the 16:40 back. I've read a lot of people recommend getting there early, but as we're leaving from Bern I don't think we could make it before 10:30 at the very earliest. Do the crowds thin out later in the afternoon?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Allen

Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,097 Reviews
from USD 260.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
391 Reviews
from USD 260.50*
Jungfraujoch Top of Europe Day Trip...
83 Reviews
from USD 245.60*
France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Jungfraujoch from Bern

It may be better to get a Swiss Pass or Flexi Pass - these offer free museum entry as well as travel so it depends a bit on your exact plans. Look at www.swisstravelsystem.com to see the details (you can also order the passes there if you want). I'm afraid you need to do a bit of maths to work out the best buy.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Jungfraujoch from Bern

The main reason for arriving at the top early is to avoid the afternoon clouds that often roll in. 5 hrs should be more than enough to see everything up there. You may even have time to come down earlier and spend some time exploring one of the mountain villages you pass through on the train trip down.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Jungfraujoch from Bern

Trains for the return trip back down depart every 30 minutes.

Allow 20 minutes to view the Glacier Ice Palace, 20 minutes to walk out on the snow, 20 minutes to take in the view and some time for the restaurant. 1.5 hours at the top would be enough time.

The trip from Interlaken Ost station to / from the Jungfraujoch involves two train changes and your ticket allows for stop overs along the way - just take the next train in 30 or 60-minutes.

Interlaken Ost -> Lauterbrunnen -> Wengen [stop over] -> Kleine Scheidegg -> Jungfraujoch -> Kleine Scheidegg [stop over] Grindlewald [stop over] -> Interlaken Ost

The website for the Kleine Scheidegg Bahnhof restaurant is:

www.bahnhof-scheidegg.ch/Default.asp?lang=e

Level Contributor
2 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Jungfraujoch from Bern

Thank you for the replies, definitely will take the advice of stopping at Wengen and Grindlewald.

singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Jungfraujoch from Bern

Hi Allen:

I saw your blog from March 2010 and I am wondering if I can ask a few questions/tips about Switzerland.

My family of 3 are going to visit Switzerland in December 2010, To be Exact on December 21, 2010.

We will fly from Houston to Bern.

So our base in Switzerland is Bern.

We would like to visit the places you went to visit. It looks like they are the same as my *wish* list.

So where do I go from Bern?

Where do I stay overnight..in Bern, Lucerne or Interlaken?

Which pass did you eventually get (The cheapest overall for all the train trip connections).

Did you visit the Golden Pass?

If you can give me a rough estimate of how much the hotels are each night.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Jungfraujoch from Bern

Dutseal,

Instead of posting questions in old posts it is better that you go through the below link and then post your specific questions as a new topic to forum members

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188045-i336-k3104…

7. Re: Day trip to Jungfraujoch from Bern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2011, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Jungfrau Region