We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eiger Trail Early June?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Eiger Trail Early June?

Hi there - I was wondering if anyone has any idea about when the Eiger Trail opens for hiking. Does it depend year to year based on weather or is there usually a set opening date? I will be in the region around June 14-16 and wanted to get some good hikes in. If anyone has any other recommendations for top hikes during that time of year please let me know.

Thank you all for the help!

6 replies to this topic
paris london
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Eiger Trail Early June?

It doesn't work quite like that. The route is open all year round, though whether it's passable will depend on the weather and conditions underfoot. During winter it will not be passable and therefore not signposted as a walking route (yellow signs). Normally it should be free of snow by mid-June and therefore signposted. Best advice is to check in Grindelwald tourist office when you get there. They will also give you a free hiking map and suggestions suited to your abilities.

Chico, California
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Eiger Trail Early June?

As nomarmite indicated, the higher elevation hikes usually begin opening around June 15. Sometimes a day or two earlier, sometimes as much as 2 weeks later. All depends on snow pack and if there are late season snow falls.You don't say where you are staying but the local tourist offices will be able to tell you what is open.

I've compiled a 50 page guide to the region based on my 19 trips there. Lots of descriptions of hikes, transport, outings, etc. If you would like a copy send me a Private Message (PM) with your email address. To send a PM click on my screen name (KimSanJose) then on "send message".

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Eiger Trail Early June?

Hi Kim.... we are going in May. Would Grindelwald be good at that time of the year or too cold. Is it better to set a base in Interlaken or Grindelwald given it’s May.

Chico, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Eiger Trail Early June?

Grindelwald is a far better pick than Interlaken at any time.

Oakland, California
2 posts
5. Re: Eiger Trail Early June?

I'd love to know if you get any responses I am planning to hike the Eiger Trail June 17-23 2018 Curious about weather conditions

Chico, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Eiger Trail Early June?

Hello ktmbaer,

See messages #1 and #2 for input on accessibility of the Eiger Trail in June.

As to whether the route will be open when you are there the answer is maybe yes, maybe no. It is impossible to tell in advance as the trail could still be full of snow if the weather stays cool or there could be a late snowfall.

That said, the latter part of your trip the odds are that it will be open. You may run into some snow patches near the top (by Eigergletscher station)

Reply to: Eiger Trail Early June?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted