We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva to Zurich

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Geneva to Zurich

I will be in Geneva early next month and have 4 days to travel. I land in Geneva on Wed and fly out of Zurich in later afternoon on Sunday. I was thinking of staying in Geneva for 2 nights and than take the train to Zurich. I am thinking of taking the train through the Golden Pass and staying one night in a town along the way then on to Zurich, stay one night and then fly home. I have never been to either city and would appreciate some recommendations. What towns are best to stay in and is the Golden Pass the route I should take?

canada
Level Contributor
7,287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva to Zurich

Hi alan, as a first time visitor traveling along this route, the places worth a stay are: Montreux, Interlaken for Bernese Oberland, and Lucerne. Honestly one day in Bernese Oberland is extremely inadequate, might as well add onto Montreux or Lucerne. Unless you have a special reason for Geneva, I would skip it. Montreux is only one and half hour by train from Geneva airport. Golden Pass route is definitely the way to go.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva to Zurich

Thanks for the reply. I have no special reason to stay in Geneva. I fly in from Budapest on Wednesday and fly back to Boston from Zurich on Sunday. I enjoy the country much more than the cities. My plan is to take a train from Geneva. I certainly would prefer to see the Swiss Alps rather than the cities. Can you suggest a route/cities to stay in. Maybe I'll stay one night in Geneva and take train next day and stay 2 or 3 nights in town(s) along the route. Your suggestions would be appreciated-I have never been to Switzerland.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneva to Zurich

I would still spend some hours in Geneva as I find a bit harsh to say it is not worth it! In addition, the Goldenpass train (which I also recommend) are in the morning (make sure to choose the panoramic one and try to get the "VIP seats"). tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188057-c127289/Genev… for Geneva.

Then you could spend one or two nights in the Interlaken region (http://www.interlaken.ch) since this is the destination of the Goldenpass and one night in Lucerne.

Enjoy

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
31,023 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geneva to Zurich

the mountains are lovely in early October so why not jsut go straight there? You could easily spend your time in Zermatt and with the larches just beginning to turn golden and great hiking on tap why not? Train from Geneva to Visp and then up to Zermatt.

Getting to Zürich is easy too - train back down to Visp and then only 2 hrs to Zürich, another 15mins for the airport.

As Swissdiver says it would be a pity to just pass through Geneva, which is a very historic town and really beautiful, even if it isn't very "Swiss". Take at least a couple of hours, leave your suitcases at the main station and walk around the old town. use the link that Swissdiver gave (which is a walking tour and can be done in a short time if you do not visit museums etc). Then head for the hills.

If you do decide on the Oberland go to Grindelwald or Wengen and not to Interlaken. And if you have to choose between sightseeing en route in Geneva or Montreux spend the time in Geneva. There is a lot more to see and it is pretty concentrated in one place. Montreux's main attraction is Chillon and that will take some time to get to and from and you will need about 2 hrs there.

5. Re: Geneva to Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 04:17