We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Vienna to Bern/Lucerne or Innsbruck?

Which Bern hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
208 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Vienna to Bern/Lucerne or Innsbruck?

We are planning to go to Bern, Lucerne and Innsbruck when we go to Switzerland. We are coming from night train and I was wondering which city is it best to go to first time wise? The train will go to zurich and then we can branch off from there...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
504 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Vienna to Bern/Lucerne or Innsbruck?

We went to all 3 cities during our trip to Switzerland and Austria last year, and loved them all! We also started our trip in Zurich, we arrived by plane and caught the train directly to Bern - depending on which train you catch, the trip will take between 60 and 90 minutes. It's just under an hour to go directly from Zurich to Luzern by train, so you might want to start with one of those two cities first, as there are lots of trains each day to both destinations. The trip from Zurich to Innbruck is longer, around 4 and a-half hours, and there are only 2 (or maybe 3 trains) a day travelling that route.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,294 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Vienna to Bern/Lucerne or Innsbruck?

It makes sense to do this in a loop -

Zurich to Bern is under an hour. Luzern just about an hour (bit longer from the airport to each - 10mins or so)

Bern to Interlaken is about an hour.

What I would do is to go Zurich to Luzern. Then Luzern to the Interlaken area (not Interlaken itself) on the Golden Pass line which goes over the Brunig pass and is very scenic.

Then stay either on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz OR (my preference) in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Grindlewald. teh reason I say not Interlaken is that it, as a destination in itself, has little to recommend it. Lauterbrunnen and Wengen are much nicer, Wengen being a car-free village on the mountain. On the lakes my preference is Spiez, then Thun. But if you want to explore the Jungfrau region Thun is a bit further away, closer to Bern. See

www.myjungfrau.ch for more information about the region.

Then to bern and back to Zurich.

I would not actually spend a night in Bern - instead get there around 10am and spend 4-5 hours and then continue on to Zurich for the night.

you can get all the train information on www.sbb.ch/en

Stuttgart, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Vienna to Bern/Lucerne or Innsbruck?

I am living in Stuttgart, Germany and was considering a trip to Bern and the Interlaken region Friday - Sunday the weekend of May 28. Would it be better to forego Bern and stay in Lucerne or Zurich? I was hoping to take one of the scenic railways through the mountains and do some sightseeing in one of the cities.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,294 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Vienna to Bern/Lucerne or Innsbruck?

You could try this: Stuttgart to Interlaken. Then Interlaken to Luzern, Luzern to Basel and back to Stuttgart. You could also go Luzern to Zurich, and then Zurich to Stutttgart. I seem to recall I came back from Tübingen on this line once..

5. Re: Train from Vienna to Bern/Lucerne or Innsbruck?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2010, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Bern
Recent Conversations