We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest to Zermatt

Boston...
3 posts
Save Topic
Budapest to Zermatt

Hi All ~

Just wondering if anyone can give me some ideas of the most efficient way to get from Budapest to Zermatt. I have looked up air, train and bus schedules but can't figure out the cheapest, most direct route. My budget to get there would be up to about $250.00 (U.S. dollars). Thanks!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,626 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest to Zermatt

Have you looked at EasyJet and AirBerlin? Both have discount flights from Budapest to either Zurich or Geneva. Be careful with discount flights as checking a bag, etc. can increase the fare a lot! The 2nd class one way rail fare from either airport to Zermatt is about $110.

Buses don't exist in Europe as they do here..

Trains - you might be able to put together a bunch of different discount tickets - for example, there is a Bavarian ticket that is something like 25 Euros for a day of travel...it would take a lot of work but it's doable. There are experts on rail here on the forum who can give you details on these things. It's not easy to get a one way fare for international trips (meaning crossing borders in Europe) from the internet without using Rail Europe and they are notoriously bad for giving accurate fares without passes. Have you considered getting a rail pass?

Hope this helps.

Bern
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest to Zermatt

Regular train ticket Budapest-Zurich starts from 54 euro, discounted Spar tickets (need to be purchased at least 3 days in advance) from 29 euro.

You might want to check out europetrainsguide.com/Countries/Hungary/Hung… for some other ideas too

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest to Zermatt

Thanks for the ideas.

Kileysmom - I've been researching AirBerlin and the info has been very helpful. Seems to be a very decent website with affordable prices.

Vasp - the regular train tickets that you referred to...are those available on the europetrainsguide.com website? Also, I googled Spar tickets but couldn't find anything related to trains...do you happen to have a link to that website?

Thank you again!

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest to Zermatt

p.s. I just found the Spar tickets on the europetrainsguide.com.

Bern
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest to Zermatt

http://europetrainsguide.com/ doesn't sell any tickets - it gives info about availability of those ;)

Regular ticket for 54 euro is the one you can purchase any time at any international ticket counter in Budapest.

Spar ticket - special discounted tickets (need to purchase those at least three days in advance)

6. Re: Budapest to Zermatt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2010, 14:18