We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
2 posts
675 reviews
Siena

Do you recommend to stay overnight in Siena or is a day trip from Florence enough?

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
1. Re: Siena

We did it as a day trip from Florence with no regrets. We were able to see everything that we wanted to see without feeling rushed. I would do it again the same way, as a day trip by train from Florence.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,260 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Siena

An overnight, definitely, for the city is so very different in the evening when the huge tour groups have left, it's a magical place at night. The first time we ever visited Siena we stayed three nights and reckoned that was just about right for there is a lot to see and experience here.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
155 reviews
3. Re: Siena

I definitely recommend an overnight trip. Siena is even more beautiful in the evenings than during the day!

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
9,109 posts
1,191 reviews
4. Re: Siena

Definitely stay overnight. Siena is magical... The Cathedral and the Battistero alone will take a lot of time.

Eagle River, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Siena

I usually recomend daytripping to Florence from Siena. It’s much more relaxing that way.

ohio
Level Contributor
726 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Siena

Siena is worth an overnight. As others have already said magical. Enjoy a meal at La Taverna di San Giuseppe and some vino or gelato in Piazza del Campo.

Have a great trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29,242 posts
95 reviews
7. Re: Siena

Siena is a wonderful day trip but the city is particularly lovely at night. I have twice enjoyed a drink on the Campo under a full moon with my husband and it a memorably romantic way to spend an evening. The passegggiata is pleasant and an early morning stroll through one of the Contradi exploring and finding their totems and their fountain etc is fun. So an overnight trip is lovely and there are several central hotels, but you can see the highlights -- climb the Torre Mangia, spend some time in the amazing Cathedral, tour the town hall (you can get a combo ticket with the Torre Mangia). Have lunch on the Campo one of the nicest town squares in Italy on a bus trip from Florence.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
243 reviews
8. Re: Siena

overnight one more vote

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
2 posts
675 reviews
9. Re: Siena

Thanks to everyone for taking time to answer my question.

Reply to: Siena
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siena
Recent Conversations