We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Ticket

Dublin
Level Contributor
46 posts
469 reviews
Save Topic
Train Ticket

If I pick a specific train-time on screen when I buy a ticket at a station, do I have to take that specific train?

Or can I take any train costing the same price that day to the same destination?

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,254 Reviews
from USD 104.80*
Best Seller
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
384 Reviews
from USD 93.10*
Small-Group Tour: Florence and Pisa...
123 Reviews
from USD 172.30*
2 replies to this topic
Turin
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Ticket

When you don't get tickets on-line, the answer depends if you are travelling on a Regionale train or on a train with reserved seats.

Locally purchased regionale tickets are day-specific, not train specific, but you must time stamp your ticket before getting on. From that moment you have 4 hours to finish your journey using only regionale trains.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 07:51
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,094 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Ticket

"Or can I take any train costing the same price that day to the same destination?"

No you can't. If you select a Freccia or IC train, then whether you pay the Base, Economy or Super-Economy fare, you will have a reservation for a specific departure, and only that departure. It is only if you are selecting an R/RV train that you have a (limited) level of flexibility. So even for these, if you are buying at the station anyway, I don't see any point in doing so before you KNOW which departure you want to take ! The principal function of the 4-hour validity period is that if you miss a connection, your ticket would be OK on the next one.

Reply to: Train Ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted