We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming near Pisa

New York City, New...
5 posts
Swimming near Pisa

Hello, My partner and I will be in Pisa and would like to take advantage of being so close to the sea. We won't have a car, but would like to find somewhere nearby where we can swim. We aren't necessarily looking for a sandy beach, just a place where the water is nice and we can swim and read for a few hours (and that is bus/ train accessible). Any suggestions? Thank you!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
1. Re: Swimming near Pisa

Viareggio is 20 minutes on the train from Pisa Centrale. I know there are private beaches there which you pay for and I assume there are public areas. There's also Livorno which is less than 20 minutes away. I'm just planning my trip so can't really say what Livorno is like. Hopefully someone else will comment. Also check out www.visittuscany.com as there's a lot of good information there.

Edited: 25 July 2017, 22:32
milan
Level Contributor
322 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: Swimming near Pisa

Viareggio is a good choice, as you will find a long beach with lots of services (umbrellas and sunbeds), restaurants and shops but, if you want to lay on a wild beach, I'd suggest Torre del Lago, at less than 15 kms from Pisa Centrale. Frequent train services link Pisa to Torre del Lago in less than 15 minutes. Check for the bus connections between the station and the beach, as the distance is a little bit long (could be 2 kms)

New York City, New...
5 posts
3. Re: Swimming near Pisa

Thank you to you both! Torre del Lago seems like exactly what we'd like for a few hours.

Rome
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Swimming near Pisa

I would recommend Tirrenia and/or Marina di Pisa. They are the marinas of Pisa, actually the latter has a real Marina plus beaches, private and free, and are easy to reach from Pisa by coach (regular service all day long, about 20-25 minutes). Water reasonably nice, the more so in Tirrenia, which is slightly farther off from Pisa on the seaside. Definitely better than Viareggio or Livorno, imho.

5. Re: Swimming near Pisa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2018, 15:18