We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel in Italy

Carluke, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
127 reviews
Train travel in Italy

Hi, we're flying into pisa in September and then wanting to get the train to riomaggore in cinque terre staying for 3nights then getting a train to florence staying for 2 nights then getting a train to certaldo and picking up a car at that point. Is it best to book our trains in the UK or wait and purchase a ticket in the stations. Thanks

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,457 Reviews
from USD 105.30*
Best Seller
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
430 Reviews
from USD 93.60*
Small-Group Tour: Florence and Pisa...
125 Reviews
from USD 173.10*
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Train travel in Italy

It's really easy to get tickets once you are there. Pisa station has self service ticket machines in a range of languages. The train from pisa will take you to la spezia and from there you can reach all the towns in cinque terre. It's a wonderful place and train travel in italy is really easy and cheap. I have never booked tickets in advance for italy.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Train travel in Italy

Same for the rest rest of your trip you can even buy tickets the day before you travel and just validate in machine before u leave.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,319 posts
3. Re: Train travel in Italy

Depending on whether you are taking any of the fast trains that have reserved seats, you may well want to buy in advance as the savings you can get by buying discounted fares can be really significant. I have saved hundreds of euros over the years since they have been offering these discounted fares.

(Note: discounted fares have restrictions you should read about before buying)

But, that is for reserved seat trains. For trains without assigned/reserved seats, just buy when there -

To get a good overview of traveling via train in Italy, Seat 61's website has excellent info/photos/etc - https:/….UgqREhbhBok

I believe the trains you are planning on are unreserved. IF so, and you buy your tickets there, be sure to stamp them in the validation machine near the train track or face a large fine on the train if you haven't done so - (you can search google images for these validation machines so you know what to look for - don't forget to do this as the fines are significant and conductors don't care to hear about "I didn't know" or "I forgot" - You do NOT have to do this for any train for which you have an assigned/reserved seat.

Carluke, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
127 reviews
4. Re: Train travel in Italy

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I'm not sure if you can reserve the seats. Only ever travelled from Rome to Venice before and the travel agent booked us first class which was lovely. Doing it all myself this time, so any tips are gratefully received thanks

Carluke, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
127 reviews
5. Re: Train travel in Italy

Thanks for your reply. Will just book when there, giving us more flexibility. Thank you

Carluke, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
127 reviews
6. Re: Train travel in Italy

Thanks for your reply. Will just book when there, giving us more flexibility. Thank you

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
137 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Train travel in Italy

As said. It's different dependeing on wich kind of train you use. For High Speed Freccia ( Rossa, Argento, Bianca) trains, it will be cost saving to book in advance.

But for Regional Trains, it has no advantages. I´ve only seen once a regional trains sold out advice on trenitalia web , and it was because of a crowed event.

Edited: 16 July 2017, 20:24
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,691 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Train travel in Italy

>> I´ve only seen once a regional trains sold out advice on trenitalia web<<

Regionale trains cannot sell out, as there are no seat reservations. Trenitalia does not know how many people will travel on any Regionale train.

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
137 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Train travel in Italy

Not totally correct, trenitalia will know how many tickets has sell for a route. seen it a couple of weeks ago, an advice on trenitalia web that said that regionale trains for, sorry I don't remember the city, where sold out.There was a big event on that city.

Thst said, it was extraordinary it don't use to happen.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,691 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Train travel in Italy

Trenitalia knows how many tickets it has sold for a route for a particular day, but has no way of knowing how many will be on each train.