We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car locations near train station

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
5 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
rental car locations near train station

Does anyone know if the rental car locations near the central Florence train station are within the ZTL? Can you rent the car and get out of town and the return it without going through the ZTL?

1. Re: rental car locations near train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 17:41
Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car locations near train station

Contrary to Nick's flat statement, at least two car rental offices "near the central Florence train station"are, in fact, inside the ZTL.

The Europcar office is both inside the ZTL and inside the ZTL area enforced by cameras. It is on the Borg'Ognisanti one block west of the Via Melegnano. The camera is at the corner of the Via Melegnano and the Lungarno Vespucci, and you have to go past it to get to the Europcar office.

Maggiore/National has its office in the Via Finiguerra, just north of the Borg'Ognissanti. There is a ZTL sign at the corner of the Via Finiguerra and the Borg'Ognisanti, but there is no camera there - as of the last time I looked a couple of weeks ago.

Hertz, Avis, Budget, etc., are all in a tiny island west of the Via Melegnano and south of the Via della Spada that is exempt from the ZTL. But driving to them can be hazardous to your bank account.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car locations near train station

Ooops.

My mistake: The Europcar office is east of the via Melgnano - which is where the camera is. The office is inside the ZTL, I just said west when I meant east. Sorry.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,599 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car locations near train station

It is far simpler and much less stressful to take a taxi or the shuttle bus to the airport and rent there.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
5 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car locations near train station

Thank you for the replies. This is exactly what I needed to know. We were trying to decide if we needed to head out to the airport to pick up the rental car and it sounds like that is the way to go. Thank you for the information.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
893 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car locations near train station

Having read this and other posts on Florence rental cars, we have decided to take a taxi for center city out to the airport to pick up our rental car for our leisurely day-long drive down to Montepuciano. What would be the best way to get from the airport pickup area to southbound SS 222 (Chianti Road)?

If Google Maps is accurate, I think I should take A11 northwest from the airport to A1 then south and eastward to the exit marked “Firenze sud” (SP127), pay the toll (€?) and then bear right toward Greve in Chianti.

Anybody have an opinion?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,410 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental car locations near train station

Yes, you are correct that is the beginning of the Wine Road from Florence(Firenze Sud). Just keep following the Greve signs since the road winds through a number of small towns.

Also, you can access the road to Greve by exiting the autostrada at the exit before Sud called Firenze Impreneta. Drive on the sp69 to Tavernazza then Impruneta then Greve.

You'll see this on the Google maps. The American GI Cemetery Memorial is located along this route.

8. Re: rental car locations near train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 15:16