We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Museum tickets needed in October?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Are Museum tickets needed in October?

Valued TA members,

I will be in Florence with my husband form October 7th thru 14th, and I am hesitant to buy museum tickets ahead of time. I would love to be spontaneous--also I would love to be in a museum on a rainy day. outdoors if it is beautiful out.

From past experience, do I need to purchase tickets ahead of time? Should I take chances on everything EXCEPT the Uffizi and Acadamie? I have not been to Florence in over 10 years, last time I did not buy advance tickets and was fine, just wondering aobut now.

Thanks for feedback. I was looking into museum passes but not sure about them either.....

Any feedback appreciated.

Marni in San Jose

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Museum tickets needed in October?

Be spontaneous, take your chances, you're on vacation afterall so just take each day as it comes. If it were me - and it may well be as I have to go into Florence for something else that week - I wouldn't pre-book, I've never pre-booked. Stroll by the Uffizi around 9 am (ie after the first batch of "must-be-first-in-the-door" have entered) or around 12/12.30 when people will be thinking about lunch rather than spending 2 to 3 hours in a gallery. If the queue isn't too long, go in. If not, try another time.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Museum tickets needed in October?

Think about it: aren't most people going to want to go to a museum if it's a rainy day?

You can try Lastraniera's strategy - the noon strategy works at the Vatican Museums in Rome - or you can wait until you get to Florence and phone for a reservation a day or two before if the forecast calls for rain. You only pay if and when you pick up the ticket.

The Uffizi and the Accademia are the only museums where there are lines. Booking is recommended (and free) for the Brancacci Chapel.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Museum tickets needed in October?

Now here's a funny thing: we thought the same about the Brancacci Chapel but on the two occasions we were in Florence this summer (against my better judgement, I should add), we took people there and walked straight in. Just after lunch. In addition, we were not herded in and out for a restricted time as I remember from before. If it had been once, I would have put it down to luck. But twice?

Edited: 16 September 2011, 19:32
4. Re: Are Museum tickets needed in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 04:18