We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough to do in Florence for a week (in March)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
51 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Enough to do in Florence for a week (in March)

Hello all,

Ive been to Italy and even florence before (couple days some yrs ago) and was wondering if there is enough to do in florence for a week in March. Also we wont have a car, would you recommend this?

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough to do in Florence for a week (in March)

Absolutely, why not? If you're interested in art and culture there's enough to keep you busy in Florence for far longer than a week. March is good as it won't be so crowded so you'll be able to pick and choose when you visit particular galleries and go when the mood takes you not when your pre-booked tickets or the crowds permit. And why have a car in Florence, you don't need one, it's a handicap. When you want to get out of the city take the number 7 bus up to Fiesole for Roman ruins, pretty squares, sensational city views and some good places for lunch. Take the bus into the Chianti in the direction of Greve for lovely countryside in the early spring, wine tasting, more good restaurants. Make day trips by train to Pistoia, Lucca, Arezzo, Cortona. Yes, I would recommend it, very much indeed.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
51 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough to do in Florence for a week (in March)

THANK you! That was very helpful!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enough to do in Florence for a week (in March)

i too am coming to florence in late march all going well for a week thanks for the advice.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enough to do in Florence for a week (in March)

March is a good time to visit Florence as it's *slightly* less crowded than the rest of the year. There is plenty to do - I feel almost silly saying that as it's quite an understatement.

You absolutely do not need a car at all in Florence. You can get to plenty of beautiful places by local transport and Florence itself is so small you can walk everywhere.

Do check out this recent post on the latest update on the Museum Card being offered beginning mid-Feb: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k41602…

karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enough to do in Florence for a week (in March)

.....Santa Maria del Fiore, Battisterio di San Giovanni, Campanile de Giotto, Museo dell Opera del Duomo,Santa Croce, San Lorenzo, Santa Maria Novella, San Marco, Santa Felicita, Santo Spirito, Santa Trinita, San Gaetano, Santi Apostili, San Salvi, San Felice in Piazza, Santa Maria del Carmine, San Miniato al Monte, Badia Fiorentina, Santissima Annunziata,Orsanmichele, Bigallo, Accademia, Bargello, Palazzo Vecchio, Loggia dei Lanzi,Galleria degli Uffizi,Fontana del Nettuno,Ospedale degli Innocenti, Museo Opificio delle Pietre Dure,Museo Archaeologico, the Synagogue,Musei Stibbert, Bardini and Percy Horne, Palazzo Medici Riccardi, Casa Buonarroti, Ponte Vecchio, Ponte Santa Trinita,Palazzo Pitti,Gardenia dei Boboli, Piazzale Michelangelo…tip of the iceberg!……Fra Angelico, Fra Fillipo Lippi, Fillipino Lippi, Ucello, Bernardo Daddi, Giotto, Cimabue, Simone Martini,Masaccio, Sandro Botticelli, Leonardo da Vinci, Andrea del Sorto,Bronzino, Pontormo, Bennozzo Gozilli, Andrea da Firenze, Ammanati, Brunelleschi, Andrea Orcagna, Nardo di Cione, the Della Robbias – Lucca, Andrea, Giovanni, Donatello, Cellini,Ghiberti…of unrivalled brilliance and virtuosity….mankind's most treasured works....the Arno… those gloriously beautiful green hills….those wonderful mists….the notes of the song birds….every street and alleyway, each brick and cobble stone….a world of bewitching sights, euphonious sounds and heady fragrances….of eternal captivity….Firenze, Firenze!…dear and beloved city….pinnacle of perfection and exaltation….Just ONE WEEK, grenner?….sufficient??…a lifetime perhaps!….

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,568 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enough to do in Florence for a week (in March)

I went to Florence for 10 days in Feb 2009 (no car). We enjoyed ourselves, and even didn't get to all the places on my list of things to do. I had hoped to take the bus to Fiesole and check out the ruins and the museums there, but did not get to it. Florence had outstanding shopping possibilities, and some fo the places a little further from the tourist sites (easily walkable) were reasoanble in prices.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,568 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enough to do in Florence for a week (in March)

Google amps of Flroence from my trip with some sites amrked

Oltrarno

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

NE Florence

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

NW Florence

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

8. Re: Enough to do in Florence for a week (in March)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2012, 16:21