We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Europe...

New York
4 posts
Save Topic
First trip to Europe...

Hi all -

I am looking to take a trip with my husband later this year to Europe. We will be going for 4-5 nights and were thinking about Paris or Florence. Both cities seem to have a lot to offer but would like some feedback from people who have been to both. Our interests include: food/wine (would love to participate in some type of cooking class), some history (but don't want to spend all my time in museums), and just leisurely learning about other cultures. I would also love to explore areas outside of the "city", if time permits.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Europe...

For the things which you are looking for, then I think that Florence will be a good choice. Florence is a small city and easy to maneuver. You will be able to discover much of the city,then have time to visit the lovely Tuscan countryside near Florence in the Chianti Classico. www.greve-in-chianti.com

There are a number of places which offer cooking classes in the city, and in the country near Florence at some of the large villas.

You would enjoy an afternoon with lunch and wine tasting at the Verrazzano Castle and winery. The winery will pick you up in Florence.

Paris is a wonderful destination, but a very large city.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,233 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Europe...

Paris is a very large sprawling city, very lovely in parts and of course excellent French food and wine available

Florence is much smaller and easier to get out of the city if you wish to see something of the surrounding countryside. The local bus from close to the Santa maria Novella station will tkae you up the hill to Fiesole which is a pleasnat small town with a good survinmg Roman theatre. Food and wine are equaly good in Florence, and for my part I prefer Italian cuisien to French cuisine which often has too much sacing for my taste.

My wife and I go frequently to both Paris and Florence and enjoy going to either but if I was pushed I would say I preferred either Florence or Venice to Paris

tuscany
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Europe...

Hi

I agree with previous e-mail and probbly as I live in Tuscany, i suggest you Florence. It's smaller and you can just walk around to find nice spots and old buildings, good restaurants , wine shops. And you can also spend a day in the countryside . One or 2 nmuseums are enough during a short holidays . For cooking there are many possibility I suggest you Toscana Mia, some friends attended it and I've read good comment here on TA tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g616196-d5…

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Europe...

Between Paris and Florence...I liked Paris A LOT more. There are SO many things to do and see in Paris and the entire area is SO romantic and beautiful. There are MANY quiet spots to escape the foot traffic and tourists.

I HIGHY recommend Paris (however, I am very pro-Italy. It is my favorite country, Venice is my favorite city). Sorry, between the two cities Paris 100%!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,361 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Europe...

I too like Paris better than Florence BUT for what you want to do , then Florence makes a better base.

Paris is like NYC, a big city.

Florence is much smaller and with easy access to many of the lovely hill towns of Tuscany where you can do wine tasting,olive oil tasting, take a cooking class etc.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Europe...

It really depends if you like your vacations metropolitan or more intimate. I would actually base my choice on some external factor, like the price of the flight. Otherwise it's very difficult to compare between the two.

New York
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Europe...

Thank you everyone for your feedback!

Anon - you brought up a great point - I don't think I am looking for a large "city" type vacation. I live just outside of NYC and spend a lot of time there. I am looking for something more intimate and relaxing.

Thanks again - and please keep the feedback coming!

8. Re: First trip to Europe...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 08:20