We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pay for hotel stay with credit card or cash?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
261 posts
3 reviews
Pay for hotel stay with credit card or cash?

When we check out, would it be better to pay in cash or to charge it to a credit card. In terms of fees, I think it would be best to pay in cash since we just opened a new bank account that doesn't charge fees so we can get Euros without paying the 3% fee that the credit card will charge us... but I'm wondering if we should still pay with a credit card for any reason. Like more secure?

Buffalo
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
11. Re: Pay for hotel stay with credit card or cash?

When you guys are paying cash for a otel after several days..I kow this sounds naive but what do you do? Do you go to an AT< and withdraw 1000 or so euros from an american bank atm? I bank at HSBC. How do i use my bank card in florence to withdraw and have euros? Sorry for simple question. Joan from Buffalo

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
12. Re: Pay for hotel stay with credit card or cash?

My favourite credit card is my Amex - one reason being that if there has been a problem, they simply stayed on the telephone with me until it was resolved.

If it was necessary for a supervisor to become involved, we had a conference call, and the person who had been dealing with me up to that time remained on the line and was the one to explain the problem, asking me if the details and his/her understanding of them were correct. The most refreshing thing about that was discovering that that individual had actually listened carefully to what I had to say.

One of the best things is simply not having to repeat myself 17 times if it becomes necessary to involve different folks in the solution process. The other good thing is just knowing that the problem won't drag on, ad nauseum. It's always been fixed that day, period.

United States
Level Contributor
10,092 posts
15 reviews
13. Re: Pay for hotel stay with credit card or cash?

I opened an ING electric orange account because someone on this forum said there were no ATM fees. Imagine my surprise when I was charge $7.95 on every withdrawal. A call to the company confirmed that there were no fee ATMs in the US but not in Europe. Also in the US you have to use certain ATMs, none of which are convenient to me. They are mostly in places like gas stations and Target.

I just raised my daily limit on withdrawal amounts AND number of withdrawals allowed per day on my no fee credit union account. Then I can withdraw enough money for hotels and apartments in time for payment. I do not walk around with lots of cash every day.

TAB

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
261 posts
3 reviews
14. Re: Pay for hotel stay with credit card or cash?

Joan, I would do just as you suggested - when it's time for you to pay, I would go to an ATM and withdraw enough to pay. However, before you go, do as suggested and call your bank to inform them you will be traveling to Italy and ask what your daily withdrawal limit amount is, and also the daily number of transactions. If you feel it's not enough, ask them to increase it for you.

As for using the bank card in Italy, I believe the ATMs there are called Bancomats and you are able to choose english when using the machines. The Bancomats in Italy may have a 250 euro to 500 euro limit to withdraw per transaction, but you can go ahead and do multiple withdrawals until you take out how much you need up to your own bank's limit amount (that you may or may not have asked to increase before you left).

Hope that helps!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
15. Re: Pay for hotel stay with credit card or cash?

Joan:

If you are still reading. DON'T DO IT. HSBC is

one of those banks that charges 3% fee on each

foreign transaction. I have them also but I also have

TD Bank (formerly Commerce in NY) and they charge

16. Re: Pay for hotel stay with credit card or cash?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 17:27