We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amazing operas in a beautiful church! Don't miss them!

Basel
3 posts
Amazing operas in a beautiful church! Don't miss them!

Hello everybody, I want to to share an unforgettable experience I had going to the opera in Florence.

Our hotel in Florence recommended me and my husband to the concerts/ operas that are held in the english church,very close to the Ponte Vecchio. We were both worried that we wouldn't appreciate the evening at its most since none of before,and our italian is not that good,but it worked perfectly because every act was explained in english. We saw la Boheme first and loved it so much that we came back to see la Traviata days later.

Both of the operas had great casts and we were truly so moved by how beautiful they sang that we cried. The singers were professional,the church was beautiful,the organizers so friendly and all of that lead to standing ovations at both of the operas. I would suggest booking tickets at www.concertoclassico.info in advance(both of our nights were sold out) and the you just pay up front once you get there.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Amazing operas in a beautiful church! Don't miss them!

Thank you very much for sharing this. I have been wanting to do something like this! Apparently there are concerts taking place when I will be there in September. I am going to book several if I can do so. Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Amazing operas in a beautiful church! Don't miss them!

Oh, isn't it brilliant when a new experience turns out to be so wonderful. Good for you for trying something out of your comfort zone. And, how did you like Florence?

Yvonne

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
3. Re: Amazing operas in a beautiful church! Don't miss them!

Clara:

When did you hear these two performances? By the way, St Marks is in the Via Maggio, just south of the Ponte Santa Trinita bridge.

My wife and I have been to St. Marks twice in the past week. On the first night, we heard a young trumpet player from Australia accompanied by the church's music director on the piano and the electric organ - plus a few pieces on the piano and organ alone. On the second evening, those two performers were joined by a young English baritone.

Much, but far from all of the pieces we heard were from various operas.

We enjoyed both. At the first performance, there were four of us in the audience. At the second, there were perhaps 15.

During the interval, the very, very young - and very spiffily dressed - son of the church's music director expertly opened and served us Spumante, and we had a delightful opportunity to talk with the performers.

There was considerable overlap in the programs of the two performances, which indicates to me that the assumption is that most of the people in the audience are transients.

Basel
3 posts
4. Re: Amazing operas in a beautiful church! Don't miss them!

I was there in May. Sad to hear that there wern't many people but I know many florentines are away in August.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
5. Re: Amazing operas in a beautiful church! Don't miss them!

Clara:

But it wasn't for a full opera - all we heard was less than an hour's worth of music, and we got a glass of prosecco. I would have loved to have heard La Boheme or Traviata.

Wellington
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Amazing operas in a beautiful church! Don't miss them!

Clara,

Thanks for you post, the operas sound great.

I followed your link and noticed they don't start until 9:15 in the evening. Which I guess means they finish about 11:30ish. I'd love to attend but my only concern is getting back to my hotel late at night on my own. Everything I read in the forums sound like it is quite safe to walk about the city on your own in the evening. Did you feel the area was Ok to walk back from to say the Duomo area at about midnight?

Thanks,

Tes

Pjk
Plainsboro, New...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,994 posts
121 reviews
7. Re: Amazing operas in a beautiful church! Don't miss them!

Even later I expect. But for me it would be worth paying for Traviata just to listen to the first act, especially for Violetta Valéry and Alfredo Germont singing the drinking song (Brindisi: "Libiamo").

For Boheme you'd have to go a little farther, at least until Rudolfo and Mimi promise to stay together until the spring.

Pjk

Basel
3 posts
8. Re: Amazing operas in a beautiful church! Don't miss them!

We were in a hotel close to the duomo and felt very safe walking home every night. The operas are actually about 2 hours long,with an intermission where we drank lovely spumante and talked to the perfomers.

Level Contributor
21,540 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: Amazing operas in a beautiful church! Don't miss them!

It is safe. I would rather cross the Arno via the Ponte Vecchio and not ponte Santa Trinita though.

Wellington
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Amazing operas in a beautiful church! Don't miss them!

Thanks for your advise. I shall book a ticket.