We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How about these for dinner?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,409 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
How about these for dinner?

Hi Guys

Will take lunch as we move round the city, have noted some cafes from forum and will just go in where we fancy. Will just wing-it one night but thought to book these places for dinner to secure 3 dinners so we have a plan. Evenings will be Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, we like to book about 8pm, a drink and chill, eating around 9.

La Casalinga

Trattoria Roberto

La Vecchia Maniera

Also noted Sostanza and Gusta Osteria

No particular order but I'll book ahead, thinking some closed Sunday/Monday.

Any comments from you foodies?

Just to reconfirm, seeking local ambience, simple local specialities done well that cater for regular locals as well as visitors. Chilled vibe, friendly and buzzing atmosphere (rather than stuffy) is what we want, no high end stuff. These *appear* to be our sort of places.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Stoofer

81 replies to this topic
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,409 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
1. Re: How about these for dinner?

Should add we like informality and chef staff taking an interest. Kind of places that serve a carafe of decent house wine lovingly sourced locally rather than try to edge you into expensive labels. "Like Mama used to make" type of scenario, family run often the best if generations.

Thanks

Stoofer

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: How about these for dinner?

If "Gusta Osteria" serves anything remotely like the food at "Gusta Pizza", it would be very close to the very bottom of any list of places to eat I would make.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,409 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
3. Re: How about these for dinner?

Have you eaten in or know anything about the ones I listed, Venerosi?

The first 3 were my first thoughts

Thanks

Stoofer

Edited: 18 October 2018, 21:43
Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: How about these for dinner?

Stooferuk

I've walked past all of them many times.

I have never set foot in any of them. I have never heard anybody recommend any of them.

They are all in very touristy neighborhoods where I would tend to be just a tad cautious. In such areas you frequently spend more and get less than in less touristy neighborhoods.

Whatever source of information you relied on to contemplate buying anything sold by "Gusta" should be treated as very suspect.

Edited: 18 October 2018, 22:44
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
116 reviews
51 helpful votes
5. Re: How about these for dinner?

I like La vecchiia maniera. It is not in 'tourist central' It has a short changing menu and it is not expensive.. I went to Gusta Osteria once because it was the only place which had space. That probably tells you all you need to know.

V - I thought you were a big fan of Sostanza?

If you want cheap and cheerful, try Sabatino, by Porta San Frediano.

If you want 'lovingly sourced carafes of house wine' I think you will have a long search

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: How about these for dinner?

Pericoloso

The Borgo San Jacopo is absolutely in the belly of the tourist beast.

Once again, I don't know any of those places. La Vecchiia Maniera gets terrific reviews on the Anglo-American version of TripAdvisor, and some not so ecstatic ones on the Italian version. Maybe the Italians have higher standards for tripa and lampredotto than Brits and Yanks.

I am a huge fan of Sostanza. We had a spectacular meal there two weeks ago, with some American friends who have decided to immigrate to Italy, largely, if not entirely to eat their bistecca, petti di polo, and merengue.

And if I were going to walk to the Porta San Frediano, I would walk a bit further to the Porta al Prato and eat at Baldini, one of the best eateries I know anywhere, with prices a good deal lower than those similar places nearer the Ponte Vecchio.

I assumed Stooferuk wanted informtion on the three places on his short list, so that's what I gave him.

Edited: 19 October 2018, 00:23
Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: How about these for dinner?

Stooferuk:

"places that serve a carafe of decent house wine lovingly sourced locally rather than try to edge you into expensive labels"

To add to what Pericoloso said about house wines:

The "house wine" ("vino della casa") in many Florentine restaurants has deteriorated badly in recent years. Many of them do not offer Chianti as the house wine, and their “rosso Toscano” should not be confused with “Super Tuscans”.

In many restaurants if you ask the price of a Chianti classico, or some other very drinkable wine, you will find that it costs very little more than the pretty terrible house plonk.

Just one personal anecdote: A few years ago, I happened to be eating alone at one of our favorite eateries. I asked for a quarter of a liter of house red. The waiter, who knew me, curled his lip and said something like: "Wouldn't you rather have a full glass of decent wine than a quartino of plonk? Trust me." I trusted him, and I got a full glass of Nozzole Chianti Classico -- which has become one of our favorites.

In most of the places we patronize, a liter of house red costs something like 12 euros. A bottle of really terrific Nozzole, or something similar, costs about 20 euros. Obviously the choice is yours.

In addition to Chianti, we frequently look for wines from other parts of Tuscany – such as Bolgheri and vino nobile de Montepulciano. If you want to splurge, think about Brunello di Montalcino or some truly "super" Tuscans.

In some restaurants, when you do ask for the house wine, they put an enormous bottle of (usually mediocre) wine on your table. Don't worry, they won't charge you for the whole thing — unless you drink the whole thing.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
252 posts
42 reviews
22 helpful votes
8. Re: How about these for dinner?

You will NOT be disappointed with Trattoria Roberto. Food, family and atmosphere are wonderful. It is one of the favorites for locals, including local police. That's usually a good indication of where the best food is. You will love it I assure you.

The Sea Ranch...
Level Contributor
348 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: How about these for dinner?

A question for Venerosi regarding the english version of Trip Advisor reviews for Baldini. There are quite a few recent reviews which speak of really horrendous service to non Italians. I usually discount one or two bad reviews but when there are consistently bad reviews addressing the same issue it does warrant asking whether the reviews are warranted. Would appreciate V's take on the subject specifically relating to the service to non-Italians at Baldini.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,409 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
10. Re: How about these for dinner?

Thanks for the advice about wine, and the detail from Venerosi on that subject.

Have to say that's surprising and sad, in most cities I visit a good restaurant will have good house wine, it's a point of honour!Nno worries about EUR 20 or whatever, not asking for house carafe for the lower cost, I genuinely find (around Europe) that I get to try some interesting wines, some family or 'farm produced' but all part of the travel experience, I can get high end labels at home and do drink fine wines at quite a premium but on city breaks I have a different mentality.

Well noted about tourist central but as you've said before, this is Florence, it's hard to avoid that. I will avoid Gusta as two of you don't rate it, it was only a lunch option if passing anyway.

Sostanza looks nice, may give that a go.

Chris, thanks for observation on Roberto, there must be tourist central places that cater for local workers. That's what I want to find, not necessarily cheapest, just best authentic.

I'll widen my look further outside tourist cemtral but ideally wanted a short walk back to our hotel near Ponte Vechhia.

Thanks for observations, do keep them coming, I may end up scrapping my list except for Robertos where I was directed by a previous visitor as well as the great reviews.

Are all these open Sunday and Monday?

Thanks

Stoofer

Edited: 19 October 2018, 02:28
Reply to: How about these for dinner?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted