We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Rental car return & shuttle to train station

Walnut Creek
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport Rental car return & shuttle to train station

Looking for advice- we will have a rental car for 3 days while in Tuacany. We’ll need to return the car in the morning of the day that we travel to Lake Como. I’m looking for advice on where to return for the smoothest return. We don’t have a specific agency booked yet. Is it easier to drop off at the airport and take a shuttle to the train station? Or better to drop off closer to the station and walk.

We are hoping to take the noon high speed train to Milan (connecting to Varenna). So, planning to return the car by 10am.

Best Seller
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
7,338 Reviews
from USD 107.40*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Full-Day Tour with Lunch...
781 Reviews
from USD 107.40*
Best Seller
Florence to Cinque Terre Hiking Day...
3,387 Reviews
from USD 107.40*
9 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Rental car return & shuttle to train station

Greetings from across the bay.

There are two possibilities. You can navigate to Via Palagio degli Spini, the complex near the airport, return the car and take a taxi to the SM Novella Station and buy tickets for the next train. I think 10am is doubtful, but there are trains at 11 and 12.

Returning a car downtown, there are possible ZTL and bus lane violations for which fines are incurred. I return Hertz or Avis rentals to the Garage Europa on Borgo Ognissanti, as going out to the airport is a big waste of time. On a google map route to the garage, you will note an approach to the bridge from the south. At that point by going no further east you will avoid the ZTL. You can drag the little man there and see the ZTL sign.

http://driventoit.blogspot.com.au/

We rent cars by calling up Autoeurope.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,397 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Rental car return & shuttle to train station

Car rental www.autoeurope.com drop off Florence airport

Airport shuttle bus to SMN train station

Trains Firenze to Varenna www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en A new train timetable will be issued 10 June

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas in Italy, read Top Questions "Driving in Italy", avoid city centres

www.autoeurope.com/italy-ztl-zones

www.italia.it/en/discover-italy www.discovercomo.com Lake ferry www.navigazionelaghi.it

Accommodation www.booking.com

Walnut Creek
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Rental car return & shuttle to train station

Thanks for both of your replies. I think what I’m really looking for is just on opinion on which location is easier for drop off. Looking for the least chaotic, which is sounding to be that the airport is the easiest option based on other forums that I’ve been reading.

Thanks again!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,397 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Rental car return & shuttle to train station

The airport is suggested, because tourists cannot enter Florence with a vehicle

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Rental car return & shuttle to train station

I'm surprised at the comment by the super-knowledgable #4, because saying tourists can't enter the city is incorrect.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Rental car return & shuttle to train station

We dropped off at the airport (europcar) then caught the free shuttle from there to the airport front door. (There were no taxis at the drop off and the shuttle was ready to go with plenty of room).

There were plenty of taxis at the airport and there were a lot of people waiting at the airport for the bus connection to the train station, so it would have been rather uncomfortable and likely we would not have got a seat.

There is a Fixed taxi fare to SMN station around 25euro and it took about 30 minutes due to roadworks and congestion. The bus would have been much longer and we likely would have had to stand the whole way.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,397 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Rental car return & shuttle to train station

With a vehicle !!

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Rental car return & shuttle to train station

From my post.

I return Hertz or Avis rentals to the Garage Europa on Borgo Ognissanti, as going out to the airport is a big waste of time.

Walnut Creek
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Rental car return & shuttle to train station

Thanks so much for all of the advice. Definitely helps!

Reply to: Airport Rental car return & shuttle to train station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted