We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 4 in beautiful Florence

Finland
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Day 4 in beautiful Florence

Hi all,

continuing with my trip report now back from home...

Tuesday 8th of May

Tuesday was Palazzo Vecchio day. I had booked 10 am slot for the "Secret Passages" guided tour. :)

A little mishap happened first thing in the morning: halfway through walking there I thought I'm packing peculiarly light that day and realised I don't have my camera. ๐Ÿ˜€ Oops. No worries, we were early so the hubby went back to the hotel to get it and I went ahead to pick up the tickets. Another good thing about staying in a very centrally located hotel, time to do that!

I paid for the tickets and happily noticed there were only a few people there that early. No crowds! Palazzo Vecchio has a cloakroom but they only take backpacks. I would have left my leather jacket and little umbrella there otherwise.

Our group for the tour was pretty small, about 10 people. The guide was very knowledgeable but had quite a thick Italian accent so at times we had to struggle to understand her. ๐Ÿ˜Š

First things first: the tour is NOT a Dan Brown tour by any means. ๐Ÿ˜€ It was all about the Palazzo's history (good for first-time visitors) and about the secret rooms. For example she took us to Francesco Iโ€™s Studiolo where he used to keep his valued items and maybe occasionally show them off to foreign rulers who were visiting. We also went up over to the ceiling of Salone dei Cinquecento, Hall of the Five Hundred, but werenโ€™t allowed to climb there. Just checked the original structures etc.

Salone dei Cinquecento is really quite impressive (which is the point I guess). Very grand, huge frescoes on the walls and statues representing Florenceโ€™s victory of whatever enemy. Florence is seems to be presented as the young vital one and the defeated enemy the old one, lol.

After the tour we were free to roam the Palazzo by ourselves. Went straight to the tower first because the guide warned us it might be closed as it looked like it was going to rain (it didnโ€™t). There was a bit of a wait to the tower, a few minutes maybe, because they let as many people climb as are coming down. There are a few different levels to climb with different views. What a view it is from the top! Very much worth it. And a nice breeze of wind on a hot day. :)

Visiting the different rooms I almost got a sore neck again for craning, so many pretty decorated ceilings to look at. :) So many rooms anyway. For example Room of the Elements, Hall of Lilies (gorgeous!), Hall of Maps... It wouldโ€™ve been great to go through the secret door in the Hall of Maps but sadly that wasnโ€™t part of the guided tour. Statue of Little Angel With Dolphin was lovely. And Dante's death mask was a must to go stare at of course. ๐Ÿ˜€ Dante had a very memorable face by the way. Easy to recognise, don't know why that is.

Lastly we popped by the excavations near the ticket office but those were somewhat underwhelming.

After the Palazzo it was lunchtime so we walked to All'Antico Vinaio in the hopes of those sandwiches. But the queues were monstrous...! Yikes! I wasn't over starved (cranky) yet but knew if we would queue there in the burning sun it would have taken way too long. ๐Ÿ˜€ So instead we headed to Cantinetta dei Verrazzano, it was near. Had focaccias and juice. ๐Ÿ˜Š The pastries looked delicious too but unfortunately it was so hot inside (we were sitting close to the oven) we just ate quickly and headed out. There would have been a few very nice looking little outside tables but of course there was a wait to those.

Then we just walked around and did some shopping. Went to Rinascente to check out their kitchen stuff. They have a pretty good selection. I bought a funky egg yolk separator. ๐Ÿ˜Š We also took a look at the rooftop terrace but there was only one table free and it was unfortunately in direct sunlight.

Then it was Pegna and Eataly for some souvenirs (chocolate and cantuccini). I got my beloved Benedetto Cavalieri spagettoni at last from Eataly. โค Should have bought more, there was room in the suitcases. Hmph.

At that point it was time for some drinks. We went to Move on and sat at an outside table looking at the Duomo. :) They didn't really have much of a beer selection although they categorise themselves as a pub... So we had coctails, gin tonic and spritz.

Even though the weather was still hot we kinda started needing the daily dose of coffee & pastries so decided to leave the shopping bags to the hotel and head to Oltrano to see what is available. Mama's Bakery was just closing, what a shame (it was on my notes). I bought postcards from a shop that was on the edge of a nice looking piazza (Piazza Santo Spirito?). No cake shops in sight yet...

Finally we came to Palazzo Pitti and across it was a cafe that had good looking pastries and outside tables. ๐Ÿ˜Š We got our coffees and with them a cannoli, a danish and a red velvet cupcake (one of my favorites, make them myself regularly). As we were sitting there under the shade suddenly it started raining and it was quite funny how the crowds swarming in front of the Palazzo scurried away fast. It was like watching a choreographed performance. ๐Ÿ˜€ The rain stopped soon though. Palazzo Pitti is huge by the way! If it's all museum it must take a week to see everything. The curb appeal was a bit lacking. It's just a grey/brown yard.

That night we wanted to go to Trattoria al Trebbio for dinner (like we should have done on Sunday instead of that disaster place). :) A great little place, decorated with movie posters which is a sure winner in my book. ๐Ÿ˜€ I had parmigiana di melanzane and it was just heavenly! Yum yum! I also had a side of vegetables which was an overkill because the main would have been enough. The other half had a steak with roasted potatoes and red wine. For dessert we had coffees with chocolate cake & panna cotta. Everything was good. :)

When we got out of the door it was suddenly raining like mad. Luckily we were close to the hotel and had one brolly. Slowly made our way back... Once we had to stop under a doorway for a moment when it really poured down. There's a beer place called Fermento just around the block from the hotel so we went there for drinks before calling it a night. Nice pub and the selection was pretty decent. ๐Ÿ˜Šย 

After that it was nighty-night because we were having another early morning the next day which was the Chianti day. ๐Ÿ˜Š

I'll write about that next!ย 

Mentioned in this post
Palazzo Vecchio
Palazzo Vecchio
7,840 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Cantinetta dei Verrazzano
Cantinetta dei Verrazzano
1,104 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Pegna
Pegna
228 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Eataly
Eataly
1,551 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Mama's Bakery
Mama's Bakery
235 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Piazza Santo Spirito
Piazza Santo Spirito
501 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Palazzo Pitti
Palazzo Pitti
4,949 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Trattoria al Trebbio
Trattoria al Trebbio
1,129 Reviews
Florence, Italy
19 replies to this topic
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 4 in beautiful Florence

Your Trip Reports are testaments to the beauty and history of Florence. Looking forward to reading about your Chianti trip. Have you started making plans for your return?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Finland
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 4 in beautiful Florence

Thanks! I realised back in January that a week isn't going to be enough. Not even close. :) Florence itself has so much to see and it's surrounded by a million places I'd love to see as day trips. Oh well. Would love to go back right now. Sitting back in the office yesterday morning was a depressing experience. ๐Ÿ˜€ Writing these trip reports helps.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
5,115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 4 in beautiful Florence

Thanks for your interesting reports, I'm glad that you enjoyed Florence in spite of the rain.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Finland
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 4 in beautiful Florence

The whole week was almost rain-free, in no way did it disturb the trip. ๐Ÿ˜Š That Tuesday night rain was the only time it really rained and even that ended quickly. Just a few showers occurred here and there and they were over soon. We had good luck. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,173 posts
1,005 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 4 in beautiful Florence

Lovely Palazzo Vecchio day, Ariel! We did not go there this time, but luckily had plenty of time to explore it without crowds last time. And Palazzo Pitti is a marvel...

You are right: one week in Firenze is a teaser... but a good trigger to return.

Love you trip reports!

Mentioned in this post
Palazzo Vecchio
Palazzo Vecchio
7,840 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Palazzo Pitti
Palazzo Pitti
4,949 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Firenze Suite
Firenze Suite
346 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Finland
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 4 in beautiful Florence

Thank you Nora. ๐Ÿ˜Š I really liked the Palazzo Vecchio and when I return I'll definitely visit again. Even just looking at it from the piazza made me happy. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Mentioned in this post
Palazzo Vecchio
Palazzo Vecchio
7,840 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
11,884 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 4 in beautiful Florence

"Even just looking at it from the piazza made me happy. ๐Ÿ˜Š"

Has that effect on me as well, especially when I come from the west along Via Vacchereccia and see the tower looming up in front of me.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,550 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 4 in beautiful Florence

"Has that effect on me as well, especially when I come from the west along Via Vacchereccia and see the tower looming up in front of me."

I had to check the map to ensure we were talking about the same street but, yep, that's the one. I see the tower at the end of it and my heart always skips a beat.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
11,884 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 4 in beautiful Florence

Even though I always walk from SMN to my hotel, it's at that moment when it clicks that I am back in Florence for real

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Finland
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 4 in beautiful Florence

It's a sight for sore eyes, for sure. โค

Reply to: Day 4 in beautiful Florence