We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence Car hire for 6 people

Earlston, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Florence Car hire for 6 people

Hi all!

Myself and 5 others are coming to Italy for a 2 week holiday in August (very excited!!). We are starting off in Venice for 2 nights then heading to Florence for 5 nights before spending the second week in Tuscany.

We want to hire a car in Florence to drive to the house we have rented in Tuscany and then will need to return it at Bologna Airport after a week.

We only have 1 person who will be able to drive so hiring 2 cars is not an option. We’ve had a quick look online but are struggling to find somewhere that gives prices for larger cars.

Has anyone done something similar that can point us in the direction of what companies to look at? We don’t have a budget but know it will be expensive.

Any help will be much appreciated!

TIA.

Laura x

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,245 Reviews
from USD 104.40*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,346 Reviews
from USD 104.40*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
765 Reviews
from USD 104.40*
10 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence Car hire for 6 people

You are already running late for such a car as August is peak time also for families.

I suggest you don't restrict yourself to any company just go with a large international one (more choices and more cars) and book it. After all you are 6 to divide the cost.

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence Car hire for 6 people

Last week, I saw 10 adults climbing into the very biggest van I have ever seen.

They were picking it up at Hertz, in the Borg'Ognissanti, a five-minute walk south of the main Florence railroad station.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence Car hire for 6 people

Consider renting from a major car rental company (Hertz/Avis) from the Florence Airport as they have expanded hours/days and inventory. I have been an occasional visitor to Florence since 1967 and I now refuse to drive near central Florence. The city of Florence does not want your to drive in that area and if you do and make a wrong turn of drive in the wrong lane, it will cost you upwards of E200 in fines and fees. I have a saying, "That a leading causes of divorce is home improvement and driving in Florence".

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,163 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence Car hire for 6 people

Check for a people mover rental Florence airport drop off Bologna www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas in Italy, read Top Questions "Driving in Italy", avoid city centres

www.venice-tourism.com www.visitflorence.com www.discovertuscany.com www.welcomebologna.com/en

Edited: 14 May 2018, 10:00
Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Earlston, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence Car hire for 6 people

Hi All!

Thanks so much for you suggestions and advice! We managed to book a car through British Airways which had come down in price by £300 since the day before when we found it!

Luckily the person driving is quite experienced in driving in different countries but I have passed on advice about driving in the centre of Florence!

We have now finished booking all important pieces such as Accomodation, travel etc so now the countdown begins!!

Thanks again for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence Car hire for 6 people

Although I have experience driving in many different countries, including Italy, I draw the line to driving in or near central Florence. I hope you are picking up the rental at the location near the Florence airport.

Just wondering, which rental company did British Airways book you through?

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Florence
Florence
CA
Level Contributor
10,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence Car hire for 6 people

The airport location mentioned is at Via Palagio degli Spini, best reached by cab.

You may be renting from a bad company:

https://www.apathtolunch.com/2014/12/car-ren…

If one of the worst ones, crouch down and look for a scratch under the front bumper.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence Car hire for 6 people

Hello!

Yes we are picking up the rental car at the airport. It is through Avis! A friend recommended booking through British airways as they have never had any problems so fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!

9. Re: Florence Car hire for 6 people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 May 2018, 14:08

East Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence Car hire for 6 people

what company would you suggest from port at Civitavecchia to Florence & back to port?

Mentioned in this post
Civitavecchia
Civitavecchia
Province of Rome, Italy
Florence
Florence
Reply to: Florence Car hire for 6 people
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted