We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duomo with elderly parent

7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Duomo with elderly parent

Hi, will be visiting Florence next week with elderly parent who wants to go into duomo, but doesn't want to do any climbing. I know it's free to get in, but can you buy a ticket to skip the ques?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,248 Reviews
from USD 104.80*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,347 Reviews
from USD 104.80*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
765 Reviews
from USD 104.80*
6 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
583 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duomo with elderly parent

You might see if there are any tour spots left from the official ticket source. They probably skip the line?

https:/…3-guided-tours

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Duomo with elderly parent

Thank you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duomo with elderly parent

There's an ticket/information office right near the baptistry. Ask them about ways to skip the line. I walked up to the front door with my 86 year old mother and simply asked them if we could slip in. We were polite and had no trouble. In return, Would do it for someone else.

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duomo with elderly parent

The interior of the Florence Cathedral has been almost entirely stripped of everything worth seeing. It's now really a dark, gloomy barn with a weird, rather nasty fresco by Uccello, and almost nothing else.

If you want to see the amazing works of art created for it over the course of 700-plus years, you have to go to the Museum of the Works of the Duomo, which is immediately east of the church. There, you will see some of the greatest masterpieces by Giotto, Donatello, Ghiberti, Lucca and Andrea della Robbia, and on and on, plus, of course, a Pieta by Michelangelo.

If you want to see lovely, large churches filled with wonderful art, you have to go to San Lorenzo, or Santa Maria Novella, or Santa Croce, or Santa Trinita, etc.

If it were me, I would tell your parents: Don't waste what energy you have on seeing the Duomo -- there are lots better places to go to.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 08:52
Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Giotto
Giotto
141 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy