We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train-Airport better in Florence or Pisa

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
71 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Train-Airport better in Florence or Pisa

Hello TA friends,

Will be picking up/dropping off rental car from either Pisa Airport or Florence Airport, but actually arriving and departing via train. Price isn't a big difference. Is it easier to get to/from airport from train station in Pisa or Forence? Thanks for any advice about which city would be more convenient (am travelling with two 11 year olds, but not much luggage).

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,237 Reviews
from USD 104.20*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,346 Reviews
from USD 104.20*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
761 Reviews
from USD 104.20*
10 replies to this topic
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,434 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train-Airport better in Florence or Pisa

Depends entirely on where you are coming from/going to.

Pisa Airport to Pisa Centrale train station takes only eight minutes in the PeopleMover which runs every ten minutes whereas the bus from Florence Airport to by Firenze S. M. Novella train station is every 30 minutes and takes 20 minutes. But Florence would still be a very much better bet to/from very many places.

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Firenze Suite
Firenze Suite
344 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
71 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train-Airport better in Florence or Pisa

I'm arriving by train from Assisi, driving up to Castelnuovo do Garfagnana for a week, returning car and taking train to Milan. If there were flights, I'd fly, but I didn't find any from/to Assisi or Milan.

Thank you for the info!

Mentioned in this post
Assisi
Assisi
Province of Perugia, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
The Sea Ranch...
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train-Airport better in Florence or Pisa

Is there a particular reason you are picking up & dropping off the rental car at an airport location? FYI Lucca has a train station that is a 6 minute taxi ride from the Europecar rental office outside the walls (& outside the ZTL) and the drive from there to Castelnuovo di Garfagnana is under an hour.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
CA
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train-Airport better in Florence or Pisa

The large Florence Airport complex is a short distance away at Via Palagio degli Spini, which is connected to the airport by shuttle. You enter the big building and take a number. Taxi fare to town is €22 plus a small luggage fee. We return Hertz or Avis cars downtown at the Garage Europa, as going back there is a total waste of time.

Having rented at both airports I would absolutely choose Pisa. We arrange cars by calling up the broker Autoeurope, who will suggest the best agency to use.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 05:50
Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
The Sea Ranch...
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train-Airport better in Florence or Pisa

Also, consider that there is a non stop train from Assisi to SMN Firenze but not from Assisi to Pisa or Lucca. I guess I'm suggesting you look at total travel time + ease from Assisi to Castelnuovo di Garfagnana instead of just from train station to car rental pickup/drop off. Consider the train schedule, the distance from train to rental car office, and the distance/ease of route from car pick up to your final destination. And if budget is an issue, check rental rates at airport and non-airport locations.

Mentioned in this post
Assisi
Assisi
Firenze Suite
Firenze Suite
344 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
71 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train-Airport better in Florence or Pisa

Lucca would surely be the easiest, however, I have read a ton of scary reviews about renting from Lucca--with Europecar, Hertz or Avis. I thought it might be better to deal with a larger rental office at the airports.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
71 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train-Airport better in Florence or Pisa

Thanks guys--appreciate all the insight!

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train-Airport better in Florence or Pisa

Can't help with car hire (we have our own car when staying in Lucca) but there is a nice drive from Castelnuovo di Garfagnana to the sunken village of Isola Santa if of interest: https:/…

mesh

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
The Sea Ranch...
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train-Airport better in Florence or Pisa

We've picked up a rental car at the Europcar office in Lucca each year for the past 4 or 5 years (including earlier this year) with great experience. Not certain but I think the Hertz location in Lucca was a franchise office and closed several years ago. We book through Kemwel which is an independent car rental consolidator based in Portland, Maine. It is a sister company to Auto Europe and provides excellent rental rates and zero deductible in case of dings, scratches, or accidents. If you Google Kemwel and enter Lucca as your pick up/drop off location your rental will be picked up at Europcar. You do need to make sure their office hours are convenient for your arrival and drop off times (they are closed mid day for lunch break, Saturday afternoons, Sundays, & major holidays).

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,434 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train-Airport better in Florence or Pisa

Alternatively, maybe rent your car from Perugia, just a little way from Assisi in the right direction. Europcar rent there, so you could return the car in Lucca. Probably other companies are in both locations as well.

But taking the train through to Lucca from Assisi wouldn't be hard, though a little slower -- it's a short level walk along the main concourse to change trains in Florence.

Mentioned in this post
Perugia
Perugia
Assisi
Assisi
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Florence
Florence