We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need TA family recommendations for our dream vacation

Eaton, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Need TA family recommendations for our dream vacation

Dear TA family:

My wife and I have Italy as our dream vacation destination. We would really appreciate any recommendations and suggestions. Best time to go? Best areas to visit? Best hotel and restaurants? Tours? Best way to travel in Italy? We’d of course want to see Florence and Rome, but we welcome any and all suggestions and recommendations. Thanks so much!

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,250 Reviews
from USD 104.80*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,347 Reviews
from USD 104.80*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
765 Reviews
from USD 104.80*
17 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need TA family recommendations for our dream vacation

With due respect, we are not mind readers. Please give us something to go on so that we can make relevant suggestions.

Best time to go? Depends on whether you like the heat and crowds or you prefer cooler months.

Best areas to visit? Depends on your interests?

Best hotels and restaurants? Do you have a budget? You could easily put your budget and requirements into a search tool (i.e. Booking.com) and get a list of suggested holidays. Scroll through, read the reviews and whittle down the options to the ones which appeal.

Tours? What do you want to do?

Best way to travel? Do you want to drive or travel by train between cities? Depending on where you locate, you may not need a car in cities.

How many days are you going for? Are you arriving and departing from the same airport? You really need to do some research - get a guide book and depending on how long you will be in Italy, work out how many days you will want to spend in a particular location. Don't try and pack too much in - you will loose a lot of time moving from city to city and checking in and out of accommodation.

Eaton, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need TA family recommendations for our dream vacation

Great feedback! Thank you. I was pretty general, so point taken.

We prefer less crowds. We want to see the major art and cultural attractions. Great feedback on not trying to do too much. Planning on about 10 days. Budget 5-10K. Really into great food. Love the advice about Booking.com and researching. So on point. Thanks so much!

London
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need TA family recommendations for our dream vacation

Sorry, typo on my part.... should have said “suggested hotels” and not “holidays”

If your 10 days includes arrival and departure then you do not want to do more than two cities. You could easily spend your entire trip in Rome or Florence and do a day trip or two. I would suggest booking ahead for certain museums/galleries (think Uffizi/ Accademia) and you *have* to book ahead if you want to climb to the cupola of the Cathedral

Eaton, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need TA family recommendations for our dream vacation

Thank you so much! I viewed your profile, so someone with your travel background has advice that should be followed. Truly appreciate your time, help, and valuable insights!

Boston...
Level Contributor
244 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need TA family recommendations for our dream vacation

You could fly into Florence and fly out of Rome. Spend the first 4 nights in Florence. Look for a hotel close to the Duomo or the historic city center if they have that search engine. This way you will be walking distance to a lot of attractions, restaurants shops etc. A half day trip via the train to Pisa from Florence is easy as well as other Tuscan cities Take the train to Rome and spend the last 4 nights there. In Rome look for a hotel near the Pantheon, Piazza Navona or Campo di fiori. This is a central area. There are many other areas you could stay in but I think most people like this area. If you are interested in 4/6 hour small group walking tours of areas check out Walks of Italy. They have several for each city. You can also buy tickets for many museums and attractions on your own directly from the attraction websites.

We travel in September. The weather is usually very nice, warm but not the summer heat. I can pack light summer type clothes. A light jacket or sweater for the night time is advised. It's also less crowded in September then the summer.

In Italy you must have your knees and shoulders covered when entering cathedrals. A scarf wrapped around the shoulders works great. If you are staying in Florence and Rome you will not need to rent a car. I hope this helps. Enjoy, we love Italy especially the food.

Eaton, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need TA family recommendations for our dream vacation

Lancer, thank you so much, that is absolutely fantastic guidance. I’m a total foodie too, so I am really forward to the cuisine. All your comments are so thoughtful and provide awesome direction for our planning. So, extremely grateful for your response, and detailed information. Really appreciate your feedback and time. If you care to: any 4-5 star hotels you would recommend? And, any restaurants I absolutely have to go to. But thanks again! Best wishes!

Boston...
Level Contributor
244 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need TA family recommendations for our dream vacation

Ajijah,

You're welcome. I have no restaurant recommendations as I don't remember where we ate. Honestly, we walk around, check out menus and see what people eat. I can say we have never had a bad meal in Italy. The menus have first course and second course. You are not obligated to purchase one of each. You can pick what ever you want. Some places do charge a fee for bread and when ordering fish the price is by weight. Bottled water is around 2 euros a bottle and house wine is fantastic.

I do recommend the Walks of Italy Pristine Sistine tour for the Vatican. We did get in before the public which was worth it.

You may get better responses to your questions if you post questions on the Florence and Rome tripadvisor forum boards.

Eaton, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need TA family recommendations for our dream vacation

Thanks so much again! You answered exactly as I hoped, and that was, I just wanted to hear what others enjoyed and anything they loved or recommended. So, again, your informative, kind and personal responses are really appreciated! Your guidance is so practical and helpful. Thanks again. Wishing you a great weekend.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 13:04
Boston...
Level Contributor
244 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need TA family recommendations for our dream vacation

Once again, you are welcomed. As far as hotels are concerned, in Florence I do not have any recommendations as the hotel we stayed in, although clean, safe and centrally located, we did not like. In Rome we stayed at the Hotel Forty Seven. It is not in the area I had suggested to you in an earlier post. The hotel is more modern then the typical Italian Boutique hotel. The hotel was fantastic. It is on a main street with four lanes of traffic in each direction. However, being from the Boston area with our oldest living in NYC, crossing was easy. You must walk half a block up and cross with the street light. This hotel is only a 15 minute walk to most major attractions and the trastevere area Campo di Fiori area etc. You may want to stay more centrally located. Check on the Rome forum board as well as booking.com etc.

We did do a walking food tour with Eating Italy. It was the twilight Trastevere tour. Some people find these tours pricey. We liked it as it gave us something different to do at night and was able to get a sense of this area which did remind us a little of our Boston North End area at home. Once again I hope this helps.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
780 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need TA family recommendations for our dream vacation

There are so many hotels to choose from in Rome and Florence, but here are two we have stayed at and loved, for the hotels themselves and for their convenient, central locations...Albergo del Senato in Rome and Hotel Degli Orafi in Florence.

Reply to: Need TA family recommendations for our dream vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted