We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attention - theft in the tourist info office

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
12 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Attention - theft in the tourist info office

I was at the tourist info office next to Santa Maria Novella today. I lost my rucksuck which contained my passport, banks cards, cash of 200 Euro within a few seconds. It has been a drama. I can't believe how I could losse my bag within literally a few seconds while I was talking to one of the Firenze card staffs... I was talking to the staff whose seat was right opposite to the seat where I left my bag. How did this happen? Be warned and be very careful!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria Novella Hotel
Santa Maria Novella Hotel
1,757 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Firenze Suite
Firenze Suite
324 Reviews
Florence, Italy
8 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Attention - theft in the tourist info office

Somebody came in and swiped it? So sorry to hear of such a loss.

I assume you reported it to the police, there may be security cameras there at the tourist info office or other such cameras nearby.

Hope you get it sorted without too much trouble. Your copy of your passport will help in the process of getting it replaced.

Best of luck going forward. You can never let your bag out of your hands. Sad fact of life anywhere.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
12 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attention - theft in the tourist info office

Hi Momcat 1992, yes I reported to the police straight after. Frankly I don't expect any possotive outcome. The office manager at the tourist info office took me to the train station police office. My message is to warn tourists that even if you are at an official tourist office, don't feel for one second that you are safe and can low your guard down! That is all! My mistake to feel relax for a few seconds in a tourist Office!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attention - theft in the tourist info office

This reminds me of what a relative who was in law enforcement said, "Have you ever realized how many scenes on police shows are filmed in police lockers? Why would police have to lock up their valuables in a police station?"

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Attention - theft in the tourist info office

A few years ago a woman I met in Rome told me she had over 1500 euros just stolen from her. When I asked where it happened, she said it was in the Vatican City poste office and that she walked away for just seconds to put her postcards in the box, thinking her bag and money were okay given where she was. It was a huge loss too.

You have to be vigilant everywhere, not just when you travel.

Maybe the police report will help with your travel insurance if you file a claim for any losses from the theft.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Vatican City
Vatican City
5,787 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
12 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attention - theft in the tourist info office

I have filed the loss of my passport with the embassy accordingly. This event caused limited financial loss and a lot of hassles to sort things out. I am notorious for being too careful in my daily life and this time harsh reality got me. Having travelled in Italy for 3 weeks, I have had such a good time, then this happened to me at a tourist Office. Keep alert awalys, all I can say!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
143 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attention - theft in the tourist info office

I’m so sorry for what happened to you ....

California
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attention - theft in the tourist info office

Sorry this happened to you. But nowadays anywhere one has to be careful with one's belongings not even at home. Yet even where I live I still see some women leave their purses in their shopping carts then wander some distance away to browse. They are so fortunate if nothing is taken.

CA
Level Contributor
10,131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attention - theft in the tourist info office

Yes, you have my sympathy too. It was tough way to learn what has been suggested on this forum countless times--valuable items to which you refer should be safely tucked away under clothing and out of reach.

Reply to: Attention - theft in the tourist info office
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted