We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided Tour at Uffizi Gallery

Belgium
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Guided Tour at Uffizi Gallery

Hi,

I am visiting Florence in Mid May and would like to go to Uffizi Gallery(guided tour) and Galleria dell Accademia. I have a couple of questions here.

1. Is it worth to take a Firenze Card if I'm visiting only the above mentioned two museums and some other sites in Florence like Duomo, Pitti Palace, Palazzo Vecchio, Piazza della Signoria.

2. If we opt for a guided tour in Uffizi Gallery, does the Firenze card be of any use?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Firenze Suite
Firenze Suite
343 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Palazzo Vecchio
Palazzo Vecchio
7,822 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Piazza della Signoria
Piazza della Signoria
14,850 Reviews
Florence, Italy
9 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
56 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided Tour at Uffizi Gallery

"Worth it" depends on your point of view. On a purely dollar-by-dollar basis it probably doesn't save you money (though you'd have to do the math to find out). But the thing I liked best about having the Firenze Card was that it meant I didn't have to reserve specific entry times for the museums. That gave me flexibility to plan each day according to what I felt like doing, which was the complete opposite of my days in Rome where I had pre-booked several things.

I don't know the answer about the guided tour; I hope someone else can help on that issuel.

Mentioned in this post
Firenze Suite
Firenze Suite
343 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided Tour at Uffizi Gallery

The prof makes a good point about reserved entry times - important for a few places, but it can be very restricting - Quick, finish your lunch, we have to be at ........ by 13.30! When I was last in Barcelona, I pre-booked a couple of the Gaudi houses and overestimated the time it would take to get there. Fortunately, on these occasions, they just waved me through, but I don't like being restricted and thinking that I can't linger in front of my favourite work of art because I have another 'appointment' - we go on holiday to get away from that!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
5,117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided Tour at Uffizi Gallery

Wise words above, I hate being tied to a timetable, I have a rough idea of what I would like to do, then see how things turn out. Not everyone is the same, though, some feel happier with a more structured plan.

I can't help about the guided tour and the Firenzecard, I'm afraid.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,401 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided Tour at Uffizi Gallery

If you take a guided tour of the Uffizi through a company such as www.florencetown.com www.walksofitaly.com or www.artviva.com the entrance fee to the Uffizi is included in the fee, thus the FC would be worthless.

Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guided Tour at Uffizi Gallery

Be careful with choosing your guide, make sure they know what they are talking about.

I was eavesdropping on some and although their audience seemed engaged and were clearly enjoying the talk, the content of their talk appeared only to be their own personal opinion of the painting and what they liked about it - it fell far short of an analysis that an art historian would of provided or indeed what was available on the written description next to the piece.

For example Michelangelo’s Doni Tondo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doni_Tondo

The guide made sure her audience were aware of the muscular arms of the Madonna but didn’t draw attention at all to the unusual twisting of the Madonna’s torso which holds the picture together nor the nudes in the background painted in the style of classical antiquity.

If you do use a guide make sure you still research the highlights before you attend.

Belgium
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guided Tour at Uffizi Gallery

Thank you all for the suggestions. Looking at all the replies, I have now decided to go with Firenze Card Plus, which also covers Public Transportation in Florence. Also, I have found an option for guided tour along with Firenze card on "florenceandtuscanytours.com". There is also another option to use the Rick Steves Audio Guide, which has got some great reviews.

Mentioned in this post
Firenze Suite
Firenze Suite
343 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Florence
Florence
London
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guided Tour at Uffizi Gallery

Where exactly do you think you need public transport for in Florence? You will be walking in the historic centre to and from all the sites, museums and galleries you mentioned in your original post.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Belgium
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guided Tour at Uffizi Gallery

Our stay is a bit far from the centre. That is the main reason for usage of public transport. Also to reach the view point at Piazzale Michelangelo, we would need to use public transport.

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Michelangelo
Piazzale Michelangelo
28,193 Reviews
Florence, Italy
London
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guided Tour at Uffizi Gallery

Ah ok - we stay in the centre and so actually have only used the bus to Piazzale Michelangelo.

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Michelangelo
Piazzale Michelangelo
28,193 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Reply to: Guided Tour at Uffizi Gallery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted