We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Bologna to Florence- Where to stop

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Bologna to Florence- Where to stop

Hello!

I'm travelling to Italy for my very first time this week! We're flying to Bologna and driving to Florence, I thought I'd try and take in as much as possible as I seemed to have missed quite a country on my other travels!!

My boyfriend has been to Florence many times, and we also have a friend living over there so our itinerary is booked within Florence itself... its finding something so lovely and special on the drive to Florence that Im interested in.

Is there any hillside retreats that should not be missed, any restaurants after a trek that are a must see?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,618 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Bologna to Florence- Where to stop

You do not want to drive IN Florence, look to the right under Top Questions for information regarding the dreaded ZTL's and bus lanes.

Why not take the train from Bologna to Florence, its 37 mins and 25 Euro? www.lefrecce.it

>>>You have a friend living over there so our itinerary is booked within Florence itself....<<<< Your friend would know the easiest way to visit some 'hillside retreats', using Florence as a base.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 23:10
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
10,931 posts
481 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Bologna to Florence- Where to stop

Between Bologna and Florence there are just semi-desert mountains.

Notice that you may not see what you have under your nose: Bologna is not just an airport, it is a very pleasant city and if you have the occasion to discover it don't miss it. Referring to restaurants, in Bologna they are on the average MUCH better than in Florence.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Bologna to Florence- Where to stop

We are of sound mind with Aristofane, as we love to eat and drink in Bologna: cured pork and cheese products don't get much better, and what better place to eat tortellini in brodo?

It's also a most marvelous city to simply wander around in. The area around Piazza Maggiore is most pretty and lively. It's a vibrant city.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Bologna to Florence- Where to stop

Aristofane, we feel so sorry for you because your scarce experience of the italian province (all) but can't stay still in order to give appropriate infos to slow travellers -not many indeed-. We are going to copy few sentences written by Stanley Stewart on "The Weekend Australian", 29-30 Oct. 2011:

= For most Italians, their home town is the centre of the world, and not just because Mamma lives there. Italians are fond of Italy but this is a country of old city-states and, deep down, the inhabitants know exactly who they are.

They are Milanese or Neapolitans or Mantovans; Sicilians or Sardinians.

The famous Italian cities - Florence, Venice and Rome - tend to hog most of the attention while up an down the peninsula other magnificient cities are overlooked. But they too boast famous masterpieces in their churches and famous ghosts haunting their palaces. They too are Renaissance creations with piazzas full of sunlight and cafe tables and cobbled streets lined with loggias and histrionic locals. There is only one important difference. They are smaller. Not small as in inconsequential and parochial - many were capitals of important Renaissance states - but small as in perfectly formed, like the glorious theatre in Mantua where Mozart was lucky enough to be the opening act. =

Now, between Bologna and Florence there are the apennines marking the border of the Mugello with Emilia Romagna, more mountains looking south and west. Inside this area there are 10 little towns which are waiting for smart travellers. Vicchio for example is the birth place of Giotto and the house where was born is a museum, Borgo San Lorenzo and Marradi keep memories of the Dante trips to Romagna. Dante's woman beatrice came from Portico di Romagna where we finally made a stop in 2009 (see review).Historical residences with accomodation dot the area, don't need to advertise any in particular. A must for a meal is at La Bottega dei Portici at Palazzuolo sul Senio. Brisighella on the Faenza side is another gem and has lots to offer in terms of indulgence and enogastrononomic variety.

Look at: www.brisighella.org

Deserted mountains are far away dear readers and travellers.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Bologna to Florence- Where to stop

Everyone is correct..spend some time in bologna

Everyone rushes to Roma and Firenze which are wonderful places

Spend time in other cities ...

Parma included!

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
10,931 posts
481 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Bologna to Florence- Where to stop

Congratulations to Mr. Stanley Stewart who has written a perfect tourist-oriented essay with all the clichés required by the topic Italy, with all the squares which become "piazzas" and all the buildings that become Renaissance; he has just forgotten the dolce vita and the bella figura, pity.

I apologize if I didn't attach importance to Vicchio or to Brisighella, but I still think that landing in Bologna the most obvious thing to do is visiting it; I think it is one of the most beautiful cities in Italy and that it would deserve a visit, especially for slow travellers. Though my Mamma doesn't live there.

7. Re: Driving from Bologna to Florence- Where to stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2013, 19:27