We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advice on itinerary and accommodations

9 posts
1 review
need advice on itinerary and accommodations

We are traveling to Italy in October for two weeks - first time for both of us though we've traveled extensively elsewhere. We've figured out the Rome portion of our trip but then will be driving to Tuscany for the second portion (6 nights total) and I"m overwhelmed by all the options!

Questions -

1. We had planned to stay 3 nights in either a Tuscan village or the countryside. After Rome, I think some peace and quiet in the country would be welcome but realize we'd be giving up the ability to walk to dinner, have more than 1 glass of wine with dinner, etc. Any strong feelings one way or another (village vs country)? We want to do some wine tasting and so may hire a driver for those days.

2. Any specific areas of Tuscany that you'd recommend for a 3 night stay? This is where I'm stuck since it all looks so fantastic.

3. We plan to spend 2 nights in Florence at the St Regis - we have starwood points and so it would be free. I'm a bit torn about this because of the plethora of villas and apartments on airbnb that seem so charming. Anyone stay at the St Regis or in that area of Florence? Would you recommend this vs staying elsewhere and taking a day trip into Florence?

Appreciate any/all comments - thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,994 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: need advice on itinerary and accommodations

OK, so you have six nights in total and feel you may be in need of some peace and quiet, country air, a laid back pace after Rome, right? But you also have some hotel points that you could use at the St Regis in Florence. My first question would be, are you remotely interested in Renaissance art and, if so, to what degree? There are other things to do in Florence - shopping, for instance - but until recently and the arrival of mass tourism it was a centre for art aficionados interested in a particular period. If you have to ask us whether it's worth staying in Florence, I would suggest perhaps it isn't for those genuinely keen to explore and enjoy its treasures are attracted by what is effectively a magnetic force. It was certainly that way for me when I first went there. So after all the art and history of Rome, you might prefer to spend your remaining time in the countryside enjoying more than one glass of wine with dinner (I'm with you there!) and keeping your hotel points for another property somewhere of greater interest to you. Tuscany is a big region and it's a diverse one too with so much more than just rolling hills, vineyards and Florence. There are cities such as Siena that for many people are an absolute must-see. The towns of Pisa and Lucca are well known and worthy of a visit, San Gimignano, Volterra, Arezzo too. It is all too easy to become overwhelmed but unfortunately only you can decide on where to go based on your own specific interests, style of travel and what you want to see and experience.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
155 reviews
2. Re: need advice on itinerary and accommodations

If you are not going to Florence, I would do 3 nights in Siena (yes it is a city but a large part of the center is pedestrian, so it feels more like a village and there nice views of the country from parts) and 3 nights in a place like Montepulciano, Pienza or Lucca. We always stay inside a town or village because the ease of going for a coffee, dinner and drinks.

CA
Level Contributor
11,193 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: need advice on itinerary and accommodations

Montepulciano, Pienza and other towns in that area you would need a car; not for places like Siena and Lucca, easily reachable by public transportation.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: need advice on itinerary and accommodations

If you stay in an agriturismo or B&B, you can stay in the countryside and have dinner on the property.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,247 posts
172 reviews
5. Re: need advice on itinerary and accommodations

We stayed three nights in an agriturismo with a restaurant. That was so wonderfully relaxing. We were at La Fonte near Pienza but there are many others.

Reply to: need advice on itinerary and accommodations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted