We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinery Comments Please

Coventry
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Itinery Comments Please

Hi

Having only been to Rome we initially thought of a long weekend in Venice or Florence and then thought combine the two and then I thought it would be great to add some of the Tuscan Countryside say Val D’Orcia. So its grown. Is this too much?

We like beautiful architecture and piazzas, finding winding streets with an authentic restaurant to taste local produce. We will visit the main sights like churches, galleries but would not spend days going to one after another. Interestingly we think one full day in Venice to take in the amazing layout will be enough for us and would prefer to spend more time elsewhere.

So fly in to Venice stay 2 nights

Day 3 train to Florence stay 3 nights

Day 6 hire car to Montepulciano or around stay one night

Day 7 drive to Siena one night

Day 8 train to Pisa or Florence to fly back

Appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
10 replies to this topic
alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinery Comments Please

I think there is too much time and effort loss in spending the night in Montepulciano. Change it to two nights in Siena and day trip with your car to the Val D’ Orcia including a great lunch.

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinery Comments Please

Your original plan or idea to spend more time elsewhere away from Venice has some merit. Tuscany as a region might deserve more time than you are wiling to devote to it. Pisa and the other two places in Tuscany might deserve more time in addition to Florence. Lucca might appeal to you. Also Cortona. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Cortona
Cortona
Province of Arezzo, Italy
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
897 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinery Comments Please

An alternative to the very good advice from Michael (post 1), would be two days in Val d'Orcia with a day trip to Siena (parking outside the walls is not a problem). We have just returned from our third trip to Tuscany and stayed near Montepulciano at the beautiful hotel, Relais Villa Grazianella - Fattoria del Cerro. If you enjoy heavenly landscapes and proximity to many gorgeous towns and villages of Val d'Orcia, this place is for you.

I can post a link to my trip report and to the hotel review, if you want.

Mentioned in this post
Val d'Orcia
Val d'Orcia
311 Reviews
Tuscany, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Bend,OR
Level Contributor
294 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinery Comments Please

Your itinerary only gives you 1 full day in venice and 2 full days in florence. Every other day you would be traveling part of the day wasting precious sight seeing time. Traveling ends up eating about a third to half a day. (packing/checking out,travel,picking up car rentals, checking in at your next place and potentially having to stow your luggage somewhere if its too early to check in, etc.). I would pick 2 of the 3 (venice,florence and tuscany) and enjoy those more fully. If you feel you must do all three I would day trip to tuscany from florence via a tours.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinery Comments Please

You have chopped your trip into pieces. I do not like it at all, but this is your trip and you are more than welcome to stick with it if you like it.

So, I would scratch Venice completely this time around, as much as I could also spend the whole time there.

I would also cut Florence to two nights.

Montepulciano overnight? Why bother? I would add whatever is left and stay around Montepulciano in one place doing day trips. The drives and villages are breathtaking. Not that Siena is not wonderful. You just cannot cover the whole region in one night stays. It’s a holiday, not a horse race.

Looks like you did not buy your air, so maybe in and out of Florence and leave Florence for the end before you fly home. This way you do not have to waste another day.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinery Comments Please

If you are going to the Val D'Orcia it is amust to stayin Sienna house because it is very close to Val D'Orcia and get the best experience of Tuscany there. The hosts are really nice they do their own jam, chutney, bread etcc not to miss it. It is called Sienna House!! They have beautiful views with mountains and fields. They cooked us the best food.

Edited: 20 May 2018, 02:50
Mentioned in this post
Val d'Orcia
Val d'Orcia
311 Reviews
Tuscany, Italy
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinery Comments Please

If you would like more information go on Visit Tuscany on indta and there you can easily find our trip we went Montepulciano ,S. Quirodocia, Sienna. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinery Comments Please

I agree, I feel it's trying to do far too much in way too little time. Why 3 nights in Florence, you are keen on art? Then it's 2 hours down to Montepulciano to do what precisely? Back to Siena for a night, I suppose that could work. On to Pisa and flight home. Part of me sees where you are partially coming from but I have to ask, WHAT are you genuinely looking for on this holiday / what really interests you? There's quite a lot of rushing around, you are covering fairly large distances, it won't be that relaxing.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Coventry
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinery Comments Please

Thanks for all the comments very useful. Te explain a bit more my thinking.

We are considering the fact that time is lost in travelling.

So bearing in mind our taste we think we would be happy with one full day in Venice to sort of just tick off the sights, but that needs two nights.

We will set off to Florence fairly early we will not go to lots of galleries and churches but maybe a couple, but it is a bigger city with more streets to wander round and more variety for food and drinks. I think we will have more of the things we like to do there.

Initially that was going to be the whole trip but then I was struck by seeing a bit of the countryside. A day trip sounds tiring so driving to the Val D'Orcia and staying in a country villa sounds nice with a bit of peace from the cities.

Since we are down there a final overnight in Siena seemed a good idea. Assuming we will get what we want to see of Siena in the evening wandering around and having dinner one night could suffice.

We think it is too much to plan touring Pisa that was just looking a good option to catch a flight back to the UK. If we find more convenient flights from Florence we would just go back there. From Siena either seems feasible by train with similar journey time.

Does that make more sense or still too much? I know it is a fairly superficial visit of places but that is sort of what we are thinking on this trip. It differs from say our trip to Rome a few years ago where we just stayed in Rome as we really wanted to spend considerable time in the Forum etc.

Thanks for the advice its brilliant!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Val d'Orcia
Val d'Orcia
311 Reviews
Tuscany, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Coventry
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinery Comments Please

PS what we like to do is explore stunning architecture and especially narrow atmospheric streets. We like to spend time in artisan food shops tastinge cheese, olive oil etc. Visiting markets and aprreciating the fresh produce. But we also appreciate beatiful landscapes and opportunities to stop maybe at a vineyard or orchard in the country.

I see the train journeys as travelling but when we travel by car into Tuscany and eventually round to Siena that is touring, slow pace stopping for photos and at villages etc. It is nice not to need the car in the evening though to sample the vino!

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Reply to: Itinery Comments Please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted