We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy travel

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Italy travel

I am traveling to Italy this summer and I arrive on the 25th of August and leave on the 7th of September. My arrival and departure airport is Rome. These are the places I know I want to go to at a minimum but not sure which order to go to or how long to stay in each: Rome, Bellagio, Venice, and Positano. I plan on using the train so would want to factor that in to tour. Walking around in the heat or hikes is not of interest. Enjoy beaches, lakes, fresh air, shopping, some sightseeing, and restaurants. Any advice is helpful especially the order to go around Italy. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
14 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
10,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy travel

Did you compare the cost difference of Flying into Milan and out of Rome or better yet out of Naples? Sometimes flying multi-city ends up being cheaper. Rome/Rome with these stops would yield 2 full days in 3 locations and 3 in Rome; and requiring 5 multi-step travel days sometimes taking up pretty much an entire day.

The plan improves with the scrubbing of Bellagio, particularly if the arrival at FCO is in the am.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy travel

I already bout the airline tickets, arrive and depart rome

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy travel

That's an awful lot of traveling for such a short stay. Any two of those locations would fill up your time and give you a chance to vacation. This is not an episode of The Amazing Race

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,215 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy travel

Trains Rome to Venice to Salerno to Rome www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en enter date before 10 June

Ferries from Salerno www.alicost.it www.travelmar.it Buses www.sitasudtrasporti.it enter region "Campania' click on Orari for bus times.

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome www.venice-tourism.com www.positano.com www.capri.net

Accommodation www.booking.com www.bed-and-breakfast.it

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
796 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy travel

Where are you flying from? If you do not care for walking around in the heat I would skip Rome and Venice, which will be very hot and very crowded and just spend time in Bellagio and Positano. You need to book ASAP as these areas are popular with both Italian and foreign tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
CA
Level Contributor
10,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy travel

Bonnie, she is flying in and out of Rome, Bellagio IMO a big mistake.

We know that a couple of hours or so are added to train trips when changing hotels. Say 3-4 nights in Rome, 4.5 hour train ride to Varenna, stay up there for 3 nights. From Varenna there is no easy get to Naples [over 5.5 hours] or Salerno [around 7]. The train stops in [e.g.] Bologna [2:45], so a couple of nights there. Then a direct train to Salerno [4:36] and ferry to Positano for 3-4 nights, and back to Rome for 1 night.

Arriving at FCO I suggest heading directly to Naples [around 2 hours with a change downtown] staying around 3 nights. Then around 6 nights in Sorrento/Amalfi Coast; maybe 4 nights in Rome at the end.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Varenna
Varenna
Lake Como, Italy
Naples
Naples
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
796 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy travel

Francophool, I always am interested in the origin place people are coming from. Huge difference if you are flying to Italy from the UK or from Alaska or Australia for example. People who live "next door" should have a lot more energy at the start than those who have spent 24-36 hr. traveling. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
CA
Level Contributor
10,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy travel

Good point by Bonnie. When posters show their place of origin, then suggestions can be more specific. For example, if I were flying from Alaska for a stay beginning in Tuscany, I would stay overnight in Fiumiicno and pick up a car in the AM.

Mentioned in this post
Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
796 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy travel

Funny Francophool! :-)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,610 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italy travel

I wonder why some people don't put a place of origin (continent, at the very least) as you are often trying to interpret from how they phrase things how far they are likely to be coming from.

With nothing to go on, like here, I usually assume that this will involve an intercontinental flight (at the very least)

Reply to: Italy travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted