We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am i missing out if I day trip to Florence?

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Am i missing out if I day trip to Florence?

I know everyone has a different opinion, but I'm struggling with my decision. I have 4 days in Tuscany (coming from Rome via car). Husband and I are not big art people and love enjoying culture, food, wine, active outdoors.

I have one night (that's all I could book) at this farm I'm in love with just outside of Siena. After the one night stay (and hanging in Siena for the better half of the day), do we stay the next three nights in another Siena/Chianti hotel/B&B and day trip to Florence, or just move on up to Florence and stay there? I've been to Florence once (20 years ago), but husband never has. My goal for Florence is walk around/enjoy the architecture, climb the Dummo, maybe the Academia or Uffzi (just one) and sunset at piazzale michelangelo. We love cities, but also love relaxation of the country. Is it a "miss" or pain to day trip to Florence from Chianti or Siena? Any recommendations for amazing villas/farm stays in the Chianti/Siena area? Seems my "perfect" ones are booked or over 200 euros

11 replies to this topic
Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
800 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Am i missing out if I day trip to Florence?

Personally I would move to Siena, day trip to Firenze. Staying in a city for several days really helps you get to know it. You could also just move onto Florence as 3 days is just enough time to either fall in love with it or decide it's better as a day trip. Really depends on you. We fell in love with Siena and just day trip now to Firenze every couple of years. Many people I know have fallen in love with Firenze, or Venice, or Rome. You need several days to see if Cupid shoots his arrow. ;-)

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
2. Re: Am i missing out if I day trip to Florence?

Thanks, BonnieGM. Do you have recommendations for a place to stay near Siena? How long does the trip from Siena to Florence take? Do you usually bus or train? We'll have a car and have read about parking outside the ZTL.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
433 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Am i missing out if I day trip to Florence?

You'll find the train timetables here

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Regular service but some change at Empoli so either 1 1/2hrs or 2 hrs

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
800 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Am i missing out if I day trip to Florence?

There are several hotels within the city walls of Siena that offer free parking and are easy to access. No reason to stay outside and miss the lovely walk back to your hotel in the late evening, along the cobblestone streets surrounded by medieval buildings. Magical. We stay at the Palazzo Ravizza. Hotel Athena is nearby also with parking and there are a few others. Google. We take the bus from Piazza Gramsci, as it is a bit quicker than the train, about an hour and a half.

California
Level Contributor
12,728 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Am i missing out if I day trip to Florence?

I would take the bus or train from Siena to Florence. About 1.5 hr trip one way. I find the bus easier.....and if you are not really art aficionados, why spend 3-4 hrs of your one day for Florence in the Uffizi. Encourage you to read up, have a good tourist map and create a little self-guided walking tour. Florence is a powerhouse and if going in high season (May-September), it will be hot and very crowded.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,172 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Am i missing out if I day trip to Florence?

My first question is "when are you coming?" Florence is already very busy and with temperatures due to rise towards the end of the month it will be increasingly unattractive as a place to stay. You say you are not big art lovers, you only have four days, you've been there before, you say you love the countryside - all this to me suggests skip it and don't give you decision a second thought. But I appreciate your frustration in securing somewhere nice in the countryside for others are telling me the same, this region has become extremely popular in recent years and the best places tend to get booked up fast. I know of a couple near me that have been full for most of the summer since January ...

There are several thousand agriturismi in the province but here's a site listing a few of them.

provinciasiena.com/Categoria/Agriturismi.asp

Edited: 11 May 2018, 20:06
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,806 posts
1,176 reviews
7. Re: Am i missing out if I day trip to Florence?

Is Relais Villa Grazianella booked for your days? It is like staying in paradise... I have not posted my riveting review yet, but the Villa and the restaurant exceeded all our expectations.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g11…

We also stayed at Sangallo Park hotel close to Siena last time, several years ago. It was very convenient with a car; especially, for exploring the Chianti Road.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

Cannot be compared with Villa Grazianella though.

If you want, I can post a link to my trip report - we have just returned from our trip.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,172 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Am i missing out if I day trip to Florence?

Not clear yet when the OP is coming, Nora, but from what I am hearing, all the best places like this are booked right through the summer.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,806 posts
1,176 reviews
9. Re: Am i missing out if I day trip to Florence?

Oh, I can understand it, my dear lastraniera. I booked Villa Grazianella back in January and traveled in April... You are such a star! We had a blast... Now I am waiting for our “Vino” to arrive😊. You know, ordering wine in Tuscany means not just enjoying a good glass of a fabulous red... it is like taking a little bit of Tuscany hills, vineyards, valleys and gorgeous sunsets back home...

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,172 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Am i missing out if I day trip to Florence?

I always think of our local wines as Tuscany in a glass. Hope they arrive soon!

Reply to: Am i missing out if I day trip to Florence?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted