We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or car Montepulciano to Rome?

Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Train or car Montepulciano to Rome?

We are staying in Montepulciano in late September and will have a rental car.

We need to be in Rome for a 4.00 pm flight to Nice. We have the option of dropping the car at Chiusi ( have checked opening hours) and then catching a train to Rome OR driving to Rome and dropping off at the airport.

I would appreciate advice on which choice would be the easiest and less hassle free.

Thank you.

Best Seller
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
7,338 Reviews
from USD 107.40*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Full-Day Tour with Lunch...
781 Reviews
from USD 107.40*
Best Seller
Florence to Cinque Terre Hiking Day...
3,387 Reviews
from USD 107.40*
8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,023 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or car Montepulciano to Rome?

You will need to be in the check-in line no later than 2 pm. To drive from Montepulciano to FCO along the interesting old SS2 would take about 4h30, or you could do it in 2h30 on the boring toll motorway.

In my opinion, it would be much less hassle to put your luggage into the car and drive to FCO, rather than driving to Chiusi, getting luggage to the train station, and changing trains in Rome.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,706 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or car Montepulciano to Rome?

Agree with Nick--drive all the way to FCO to return your car. You should plan on arriving at 1pm though so you have time to get your card turned in and assessed. Be sure to get your final bill as you don't want any unpleasant surprises.

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or car Montepulciano to Rome?

Nick's advice [lucky for us] is always corect, however we are always in a departure city the night before a departing flight.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,795 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or car Montepulciano to Rome?

Agree drive to FCO but take the A1, it's not at all boring, I did the return drive only last week, it's an extremely scenic run cutting through lovely hilly countryside and a couple of national parks. Plenty of places to stop either on or off the road for a coffee, snack or lunch. To be on the absolute safe side, ie traffic hold ups, time for dropping the car and walking over to the terminal, I would allow 4 hours. You should it in far, far less (I've often done it in under 2 hrs) but with a flight to catch it's sensible to allow more. What day of the week are you doing the drive? That can make a difference.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,023 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or car Montepulciano to Rome?

>>Nick's advice [lucky for us] is always corect<<

Not at all. As you can see Lastraniera has a different opinion from me about the scenery seen from the A1, and who can say which one of us is right?

Whichever route you use, allow plenty of spare time. Once it took me almost 30 minutes to get through the A1 toll gates north of Rome. There was no apparent reason for the queue.

Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or car Montepulciano to Rome?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We’ll drive to Rome.

Our travel day is a Saturday. Should we expect more or less traffic on the roads?

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,795 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train or car Montepulciano to Rome?

Usually lighter heading southbound, it's a good day to travel.

Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train or car Montepulciano to Rome?

That’s good to know and your suggestion to use the A1 is very appealing.

Thank you again all.

Reply to: Train or car Montepulciano to Rome?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted