My plan right now is as follows:
1. fly in to Vencice - 4 nights
2. Train to Florence - 3 nights
5. Return rental car and take train to Cinque Terra - 4 nights
6. Train to Rome - 5 nights
7. Fly home
The question I have is specifically for driving in Tuscany. Specific questions about the car rental and driving in Tuscany are the following:
1. Is Florence the best place to pick up a car, as I've read that it is easy to get ticketed by drving in restricted zones, just trying to get out of Florence?
2. What type of car is best, as I've heard that a lot of places have very narrow streets and you should have a sub compact, but I i'll be staying at an agriculture farm house apartment in Asciano and some of the reviews have stated a regular car is must because of steep gravel road to and from the accommodation location.
3. I plan to make an early morning trip to Siena and have read that the also have a lot of driving restrictions and I would acutally have to park outside the city. If I'm going around sunrise time, is their busing available to get to locations like the Piaaza Del Campo or TOrre Del Mangio? Are these places fairly close?
4. I was planning on keeping the car for the 2 days in Pisa/Lucca (right now planning on staying at Pisa), are there a lot of driving restrictions there. I read that for Lucca, you need to park outside the city gates. Is it fairly short walk from parking area to sites, or do you have to take buses? Again, is there an issue to go to locations at either Pisa or Lucca around surnise?
5. Is best location to take train to Cinque Terre, Florence or Pisa? If its Pisa, can you usually pick up a car from Florence and drop off at Pisa?? Is there usually large penalties/costs for doing so?
6. What are the main areas I need to aware of regarding restricted driving zones?
Thanks in advance!!