We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport over easter

essex
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
public transport over easter

arriving in palermo

after 10pm on thurs 2nd april for 4 days the day before good friday. On my trip I'd like to fit in Monreale, agrigento, piazza armerina and I'd like to see a easter procession anywhere on the Island. I usually do everything by public transport but i'm not sure about the buses and trains over that weekend so I'm struggling to work out an itinery with places to stay. I dont mind driving, although a bit concerned about the zones with fines that I heard about on here and how to avoid a bill when I get home .

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,291 posts
1. Re: public transport over easter

Perhaps hire a transfer from Palermo's airport and begin in Trapani or Erice on Good Friday and Holy Saturday with the Processione dei Misteri di Trapani ed Erice.

Agrigento's Valley of the Temples is open every day of the year, including Easter Sunday.

Easter Monday (Pasquetta) is also a National holiday.

Public transport would run on the Sunday or festivi schedules with limited service on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday, but some lines wouldn't run at all.

SAIS Autolinee runs the bus service from Palermo to Piazza Armerina. The website indicates reduced service on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday, "Servizi ridotti nei giorni di: Capodanno, Pasqua, Pasquetta, 1° Maggio, Ferragosto, Natale".

http://www.saisautolinee.it/servizi.htm

But some transport may not run at all.

Cuffaro runs the direct bus service between Palermo and Agrigento, and the Cuffaro website indicates:

"Gli autoservizi Cuffaro, non effettuano

il servizio di trasporto nei giorni:

1° Gennaio, Pasqua, 1° Maggio, 15 Agosto, 25 Dicembre"

cuffaro.info/orari-e-partenze-cuffaro-autose…

You might hire the car at Palermo's airport on arrival, and better enjoy flexibility of travel. The motorway would be fine to drive from Palermo's airport to Trapani, even later at night.

And there's an abundance of Easter festivities in Western Sicily, Adrano’s "La diavolata", Prizzi’s “Il Ballo dei Diavoli', Castelvetrano’s "Festa dell'Aurora", Marsala's "Processione del Venerdì Santo", Porto Empedocle's Holy Friday procession, San Biagio Platani's "Archi di Pasqua"....

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,291 posts
2. Re: public transport over easter

Easter is considered high season, so perhaps book your lodging sooner than later.

Vagabonda

essex
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: public transport over easter

thanks vagabond

thats enough to get me started hopefully i'll have it all sorted by tonight.

question

can palermo to(agrigento then piazza armerina in either order) be done in a day via public transport train or bus

essex
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: public transport over easter

sorry forgot to say that i noticed the cuffuro leaves palermo at 8am to agrigento and returns at 18.30 on festivi looks like a two hour journey am i right

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: public transport over easter

Yes, it will take about two hours between Palermo and Agrigento by public transport.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,291 posts
6. Re: public transport over easter

Prego leese,

Yes, Cuffaro would depart Palermo for Agrigento at 8:00 with a return from Agrigento to Palermo at 18:30, however the site also indicates that there is no service on Easter.

And yes, it's a 2-hour journey.

Agrigento and Piazza Armerina on one day is even challenging by car.

The Villa Romana del Casale also requires a bus service from town out to the site.

Getting from Agrigento to Piazza Armerina on public transportation by bus requires connections in either Caltanissetta or Gela.

Take SAIS Trasporti from Agrigento to Caltanissetta.

http://www.saistrasporti.it/

Take Autolinee Sal from Agrigento to Gela.

http://www.autolineesal.it/

Astra Autolinee runs the bus service between Caltanissetta and Piazza Armerina, and between Gela and Piazza Armerina.

http://www.astraautolinee.it/

astraautolinee.altervista.org/astra/Home.html

…altervista.org/astra/Orario.html

The local shuttle from Piazza Armerina to the Villa Romana del Casale typically runs from May through September, but it did run through October this year.

villaromanadelcasale.it/en/…

Vagabonda

Edited: 25 February 2015, 03:59
essex
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: public transport over easter

whats the E90 like around 10.30 pm going to villabate

essex
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: public transport over easter

this is getting harder to plan now, struggling with the links to find anything working over easter

cant work out how to get to agrigento from palermo over easter with public transport other than a car which was my last resort

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,291 posts
9. Re: public transport over easter

Do you plan to base in Palermo for your entire stay?

That isn't your best option.\

And Easter Sunday and Easter Monday aren't the best travel days via public transport.

Get somewhere, and stay there during those days.

Vagabonda

Edited: 25 February 2015, 09:41
essex
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: public transport over easter

sorry im being a bit of a pain,

but am i right in thinking the sais autolinee leaves 9am from palermo to piazza armerina return at 6.30pm on holidays

AST palermo to monreale 10am return 4pm using their calendar 3rd april good friday

and palermo to corleone 8.15 am return 16.40pm palermo basile

thankyou for doing this i'm going a bit bonkers now. If I can get to a few places then I will make my base in Palermo.