We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street Markets Palermo..Sundays..???

Athens
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Street Markets Palermo..Sundays..???

I have read here that the street markets are usually closed on Sundays in Palermo...I am posting the info I got from the Tourist Office of Palermo about the markets.According to them..they do open!! I hope this is true!!????

What they said:

All the historical markets of Palermo are open every day ( Sunday included) from early morning to evening ( but it’s better to go in the morning ). here's to you a list of all the markets ( you can find spices in all markets who sells foods- in particular, Ballaro Market and Vucciria Market):

La VUCCIRIA

The oldest and most popular market in Palermo stands in Piazza Caracciolo and surrounding area, was born as store of the flesh, once closed between arches now completely open in which the goods (meat, fish, fruit) is exposed in typical stalls on special marble slabs calls "balate"

Il CAPO

Along with Ballarò market is the most popular in the city. Starts from Porta Carini, adjacent to the Court and extends throughout the area that goes to the cathedral and the pawnshop. Features are the streets decorated of any merchandise conceivable

I LATTARINI

Nearly next to to Il CAPO , this area called from the Arabic "Suk-el-attarin" extends from Piazza Borsa over Via Maqueda to Via Roma leads to the Piazza San Domenico, where almost in contact with the "Vucciria". Here you could find clothes or shoes.

BALLARO '

The popular market for excellence. Starts from Corso Tukory, near the central station, it penetrates inside the area parallel of Via Maqueda to Piazza Casa Professa where there is a market for used clothing

MERCATO DELLE PULCI

Ancient antiques market and antique furniture. It 'a short stretch of road behind the Cathedral in Piazza Peranni. Is open from morning to evening, except on holidays when it is only open in the morning ( so on Sunday you must go in the morning)

PIAZZA MARINA

Only Saturday and Sunday welcomed around the Giardino Garibaldi merchants of antiquities and antiques. (Particularly furniture and antiques of various kinds, but sometimes you can also find clothes, shoes, bags)

palermo
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Street Markets Palermo..Sundays..???

hi philosykos,

the message you have received by tourist office is almost true. I explain.

the markets are open every days, including sunday, but on sunday the markets are open only in the morning; in other days of the week, the markets are open in the morning and in the evening.

I suggest you to visit "ballarò", the biggest market in the city; nearby ballarò there is "casa professa" a beautiful example of barocco; you must see it. also "capo" is a big market and it's easy to walk by the small streets that leading to the cathedral. the "mercato delle pulci" is dedicated only to antiques lovers.

on sunday in piazza marina and in the hight part of ballarò, there is a market with bric-a-brac but generally the objects are low-value objects

"la vucciria" now is nothing compared to 10-20 years ago and the visit can be disappointing

Athens
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street Markets Palermo..Sundays..???

Many thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,510 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Street Markets Palermo..Sundays..???

Hi philosykos,

The TI information is not accurate!

As fin0 has stated, Ballarò and Capo are open in the morning on Sundays.

The piazza Marina market is a Sunday market, as is the Mercato delle Pulci.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k5330…

Vagabonda

Edited: 27 November 2013, 13:19
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,510 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Street Markets Palermo..Sundays..???

Perhaps of interest - www.frommers.com/destinations/palermo/752483

Vagabonda

Athens
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street Markets Palermo..Sundays..???

Many thxs....?/If the Local Tourist Info gets info wrong....Yikes!!!!!

palermo
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street Markets Palermo..Sundays..???

not "wrong" but our advices are informations from people that live in palermo or know it very well.

I recommend you to visit ballaro first. start your visit from piazzetta ballarò (nearby casa professa) and go up in via ballarò until piazza del carmine and corso tukory. in ballarò you can find fruit, vegetables, fish, spices, butchers ect. the optimal day for a visit is saturday in the morning (friday is also ok). on sunday in the morning in ballarò there are many stalls but I don't know if you will find a bargain!

visit the market on piazza marina (sunday morning)

have you a nice trip in palermo

Athens
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Street Markets Palermo..Sundays..???

Thankyou..if all goes as planned..I would arrive Palermo SAturday but after 5 o clock...so it will dark by time I get to hotel..What do you suggest to do during that time??I do not want to wander too much since it will be dark and I would not know where I am going...

So Sunday would be best for a market or two..I have Monday and then Tuesday return.Thxs again..both of you.

palermo
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street Markets Palermo..Sundays..???

do you know where is your hotel?

on saturday night nearby teatro massimo (piazza spinuzza-olivella) many restaurants and bar are open. via libertà is the modern town centre with shops, boutiques and restaurant and bar in the streets around

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,510 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Street Markets Palermo..Sundays..???

The TI has always contended that the stalls at the markets are privately owned, and can stay open as late as they chose, but visit in the early morning!

Ballarò is primarily a food market, and Ballarò is your top market to see, but visit Cefalù, Agrigento, or Monreale (prearranged transfer only on Sundays) on the Sunday, and see the markets on Monday.

But if you plan to stay in Palermo on the Sunday, you might begin with the markets, and then suggestions found on this thread.

tripadvisor.com/…40629127

And yes, on arrival, check into your hotel, and then enjoy dinner, and the area around Olivella.

http://www.seepalermo.com/restaurants.htm

Vagabonda

Athens
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Street Markets Palermo..Sundays..???

Hello again..well I plan to stay at B&B La Bella Vita on Via Principe di Belmonte 90...So my quesion..as I am a bit insecure..travelling on my own....solo female..If its anything like Athens..will be busy with people out and about..And it will be dark that time. but early....On this street are there shops I could look around the first early evening??I do not want towander too far off..I have no idea what Palermo is like around there..any supermarkets etc?? Any help or direction..advice helpful!!!Thankyou both..!