We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long weekend in Sicily

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Long weekend in Sicily

Hi there , I am looking to work out a quick itinerary for my long weekend in Sicily. I’ll be based in Palermo for 3 full days. I was thinking something like;

Day 1: walking tour of Palermo and visit the famous landmarks and try the local food!

Day 2: Day trip to Erice via Trapani by bus. Any advise on which company to use/journey times and timetables? I here there is a cable car from Trapani?

Day 3: Day trip to Cefalu. Can this be done by train?

It’d be good to make the most of my limited time and minimise travelling, so any advise or better suggestions would be much appreciated! (I see Vagabonda is very knowledgable).

Thank you!

8 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,695 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Long weekend in Sicily

Welcome to Sicily RKB75!

Exactly when, and what days of the week??

Reconsider...

Palermo is a treasure trove, and you could easily spend your entire time touring and exploring in Palermo alone.

Cefalù is possible via train or SAIS Trasporti bus service.

For sure also visit Monreale by bus or taxi from Palermo.

Palermo isn't an optimal base for Trapani/Erice.

It's two hours via Segesta Autolinee to Trapani in each direction, and all of Erice's transport connects via Trapani with AST bus service, or the funivia. It's many hours on public transport for a short time there.

Vagabonda

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Long weekend in Sicily

Hi Vangabonda, thanks for your quick response! I’ll be arriving late Friday evening staying just of Via Roma in the center of Palermo. I then fly out Tuesday around midday. So three full days in total. Monreale sounds like a good suggestion. Best to use my little time wisely! Would you suggest stay the rest of the time in Palermo or maybe squeeze in Cefalù? Also is the local beach close to Palermo, Mondello maybe?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,695 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long weekend in Sicily

You will be astounded with all there is to see and do in Palermo, and even over the weekend, and also on a Sunday.

Palermo is an amazing city!

Even Sundays are now wonderful in the city with families enjoying the pedestrian zone in the historic centre, and markets are even open now on Sundays.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18789…

First plan your time in Palermo for what you'd like to see and do, and when.

Plan Monreale next, and then Cefalù.

Cefalù offers a town as well as a beach, and it's UNESCO, so a far better choice than Mondello, which is essentially a beach resort for Palermo.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,695 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Long weekend in Sicily

3 Days in Palermo:

https:/…87161610

Vagabonda

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
792 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long weekend in Sicily

Having just returned from a week in Palermo, I can confirm that Palermo IS a treasure trove. We didn‘t get to see everything we wanted and need to return in the near future. That being sad, I’d advise you to cut back on day trips and spend more time in Palermo itself.

Cefalu and Monreale can easily reached by public transport, but do note that busses and trains don’t run every 20 minutes. Both trips took us about 4 hours each, I think. In terms of art & architecture, I found the Cathedral of Monreale to be far more impressive than the Cathedral of Cefalu.

One street food tip: We tried many different Arancini shops in Sicily, but the best one was Sfrigola in Palermo, just west of the Porta Nuova. They make every Arancini fresh upon ordering, which I think helps the taste to be less greasy. Plus they have an amazing selection of flavours. You will surely pass it by.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,695 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Long weekend in Sicily

Thank you so very much for reporting back Henry-B-Baum.

Palermo is a treasure, a fantastic and amazing city, and so underappreciated.

Monreale for sure is not to miss as well.

Vagabonda

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Long weekend in Sicily

Thanks for ally the advice! Day 1 was spent visiting lots of architectural treasures and eating around the markets. I think I’ll visit the beach in Mondello tomorrow and Monreale/Palermo the final day. Neadless to say I’ll be back :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,695 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Long weekend in Sicily

Or perhaps visit Cefalù.

Consult schedules and mid-day closing for Monreale.

Vagabonda

Reply to: Long weekend in Sicily
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted