We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for a day with a car before flying out

California
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
Where to stay for a day with a car before flying out

Looking at a trip for next April, towards the end of the month.

It would be the last day before flying out of PMO. I can either return the car before that last day or return at the airport on the morning of my departure.

I've seen other threads suggesting Castellamare del Golfo, only 20 minutes from the airport. I've stayed there on a previous trip, really nothing much to see there.

What if I wanted to spend the afternoon driving to Monreale or the top of Monte Pellegrino and then driving in the morning to the airport, with a need to refill the car before returning it?

Is there some location near those attractions but without getting caught up in the traffic, especially the morning of my flight, which would depart around 11:30 AM? I know Vagabonda has repeatedly advised avoiding driving in or near Palermo itself.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,602 posts
1. Re: Where to stay for a day with a car before flying out

Hey welcome back ag11!

What time is your departing flight?

It's important to return the car during business hours.

For sure not Castellammare del Golfo again!

And Castellammare del Golfo is NOT 20 minutes from the airport, but more like 35 minutes.

Yes, you would need to top the petrol, and Monreale isn't optimal because of the traffic on the ring road.

Secure a receipt on your final fill.

If that's what you'd like to do, then return the car the day prior, stay in Palermo for the last night, and see Monreale from Palermo.

Vagabonda

Los Angeles...
8 posts
1 review
2. Re: Where to stay for a day with a car before flying out

Hi Vagabonda,

I only have 3 full days in September (maybe 2.5) to spend in Sicily. We arrive in Catania Saturday morning by overnight train from Praiano. We plan to go to the fish market, and perhaps a half-day trip somewhere then stay overnight. Sunday morning maybe spend a day trying out local Sicilian cuisine, then take the train to Palermo. Do the hop on, hop off in Palermo, then fly that night (if available?) to Pisa.

Does this sound too ambitious of an itinerary? Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

California
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
3. Re: Where to stay for a day with a car before flying out

What about driving up to Monte Pellegrino?

Possible to do it without avoiding the ring road?

Or not worth it if you can't?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,602 posts
4. Re: Where to stay for a day with a car before flying out

Hi ag11,

Yes, you can drive to Monte Pellegrino from the west without driving the ring road as it's prior to Palermo, and west of Palermo.

You can also arrive at Monte Pellegrino (and Monreale) from Palermo via public transport.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,602 posts
5. Re: Where to stay for a day with a car before flying out

Welcome to Sicily sraines2017!

You might find it beneficial to begin your own thread.

You can't possibly arrive by train from Praino as there's no train station in Praino, so you'll either arrive from Naples or Salerno.

Yes, this is too ambitious.

You'll spend one of your very few days in Sicily just arriving in Palermo from Catania.

Consider the ferry, or fly from Naples to Catania, and then enjoy your limited time in Catania with day trips perhaps to Etna, Siracusa, or Taormina.

Vagabonda

6. Re: Where to stay for a day with a car before flying out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2018, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Palermo
Recent Conversations