We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental advice needed

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
37 reviews
Car rental advice needed

I have read about a lot of people having bad experiences with car rental companies at the airport in Palermo. Is it really that bad? What should I watch out for when renting? Is there a GPS with the vehicles and is it hard to get in and out of the Palermo area? Many thanks!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,167 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Car rental advice needed

Most people have bad experiences with rental cars because they don't read and understand the contract and what *they* are responsible for as renters.

Many of the complaints are unfounded and are made simply because the posters didn't understand their contract. Some examples:

If you book a car through a third party vendor and buy insurances from that vendor a large hold will be put on your credit card at the rental desk. This is not a scam or scheme. This is because your third party insurance has nothing to do with the rental company, it's a separate contract between you and someone else. This is normal practice for all rental companies.

If you choose to return the car "full" on the contract and don't you're charged for the fuel ( usually a full tank) and a fee for needing to go fill up the car. The fuel is always more expensive this way but this information IS in the contract.

Most people don't check the car and notate all the damage. Many claim that they checked the car but didn't see the scratch that was there already ?!? If you don't see it and don't notate it then you are responsible for it. You cannot claim to have checked the car, didn't see a scratch, then say it was there when you picked up the car. If it was already there you would have notated it.

Rental companies will only accept the credit card from the original rental so if you don't have enough for the hold or it's a debit card, they may cancel your rental.

Anyway.......these are just some of the complaints you'll read about but these complaints really aren't legitimate. If you ignore these types of complaints and focus on actual bad practices you should be fine---as long as you read your contract and understand it.

Donna

Edited: 04 August 2017, 21:36
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: Car rental advice needed

What you mentioned makes a ton of sense!! Husband is super OCD about reading through all the terms in the contract so that's good to know!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,468 posts
3. Re: Car rental advice needed

Maximise your insurance coverage, read the Terms & Conditions of your contract, document the car's condition with photos at collection and return, keep an additional copy of your contract, get a receipt for your last fill of petrol, secure a signature from a company representative on return, and request a copy of the invoice.

Aeroporto Palermo is located west of the city with the airport access directly to the fast and easy driving autostrada, the A29, so it's easy to depart this area.

Vagabonda

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Car rental advice needed

Rental contracts are non-transparent, I have several examples but this is not the place for such discussion. So aim to reduce your liability to zero. Note that you are liable to the rental company even if the damage is not your fault. But be careful with 3rd party insurance. Some, notably Auto Europe, will require a police report for any damage. I sincerely doubt you will get one from police for a 2 cm minor scratch of unknown origin.

And you will be required to sign a contract in Italian. Translation is provided, but Italian wording is still binding.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,468 posts
5. Re: Car rental advice needed

Auto Europe is a reliable broker, and Auto Europe has an arrangement with Europcar in Italy. You can now purchase at booking the zero deductible excess with super coverage that was typically only offered at the desk.

And yes, there is a difference between this insurance, and third party insurance.

Vagabonda

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Car rental advice needed

Even with Super Coverage, you will:

- need to get a police report for scratches of unknown origin, which is quite hard if rental company finds one on car return

- be liable and pay to the rental company on the spot the sum of up to EUR 1.220 (example for small cars), even if damage is not your fault, and get refunded later.

Just to be clear on terms and conditions. My point: I would get insured above and in addition to what is offered by Auto Europe.

Source: Auto Europe website.

Edited: 04 August 2017, 23:49
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,468 posts
7. Re: Car rental advice needed

That is not so with the Auto Europe/Europcar zero deductible excess with super coverage available at booking.

You return the car, and walk away.

The supplier (Europcar) provides this insurance.

Vagabonda

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Car rental advice needed

I do not question that you maybe have personal knowledge or hands-on experience, but that is not what the website offers for me.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,468 posts
9. Re: Car rental advice needed

Hi Danchee,

If you don't see an offer for zero deductible excess with super coverage available online, the insurance that covers tyres, rims, windshield, mirrors, interior, undercarriage, and roof that was typically only offered at the supplier's desk on arrival, then contact Auto Europe directly, and speak with a company representative rather than hire online.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,468 posts
10. Re: Car rental advice needed

www.autoeurope.com.hr/index.cfm…

http://www.autoeurope.com.hr/contact.cfm

Vagabonda