We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palermo end of August

Dublin
Level Contributor
54 posts
24 reviews
Palermo end of August

Piecing together final itinerary. Arriving on a Sunday and should be in city by 1pm. Staying in the Polietama area and after a rest and freshing up hope to hit Palermo around 4pm. Bearing in mind that we have a Sunday arrival and are interested in visiting

1. Palazzo del Normani

2. Cattherdral di Palermo

3. Cheiso del Geso

4. Food Market

Would any of the above be open late evening on Sunday? If not we were thinking of a walk down to the port area with a early dinner or a stroll to a piazza where we could have dinner and relax.

Monday - It is hard to keep us away from the ocean so we were thinking of taking a trip to Mondello. Would the last Monday in August still be very busy? And as it is the ‘end of season’ would there be local fiestas going on. It would be an added bonus to take part in local celebrations.

Tuesday - Thinking of maybe doing a organised trip Palermo city including Montreale . As we will be staying near the tourist office would it possible to book something when we arrive or should we pre book on line.

Wednesday – we are heading off to Cefalu to enjoy a few days relaxation by the coast.

We will find many more things to do that will be of interest but the Sunday arrival and how to get our visit off to a good start is top of the list at the moment.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,463 posts
1. Re: Palermo end of August

Welcome to Sicily wishfulDublin!

It's important to plan a Sunday in Palermo with attention to detail for schedules.

It's optimal not to rest on arrival, and to get out and about walking the city.

The markets are optimal during weekday mornings, not Sundays, and not afternoons.

Consult schedules for your other intended attractions.

www.federicosecondo.org/en/timetable.html

And why would you walk to the port??

You would be fine at Mondello on the Monday.

If you'd like a licenced guide tour of Palermo and Monreale, then book in advance.

Vagabonda

2. Re: Palermo end of August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 August 2017, 11:14
Palermo, Italy
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
117 reviews
3. Re: Palermo end of August

Hi wishfulDublin,

as Vagabonda wrote opening hours on Sunday are not optimal, and markets not that active, especially if you arrive at 1pm. Among the destionations you listed, only the Cattedrale will be open, while Palazzo dei Normanni and Chiesa del Gesù are closed. Instead, on Sunday afternoon you can visit Chiesa di Santa Caterina and Oratorio di Santa Cita (which I strongly recommend you not to miss), but also Oratorio di San Domenico, Oratorio di San Lorenzo, Chiesa del SS. Salvatore (with possibility of going up to the dome for great views, if you get there by 4:30pm when the last entry is), Palazzo Alliata di Villafranca, Teatro Massimo, Spasimo. All great places to see most of these close at 6pm).

I strongly suggest you to visit Palazzo dei Normanni on Monday morning, because on from Tuesday to Thursday only the Cappella Palatina inside it is visitable (plus an art exhibition) but not the whole palace. You can get there very early in the morning (also to avoid crowds and queues) and then go to Mondello later. Check the website linked by Vagabonda to see if there are changes in the visiting schedules little before you leave (changes are listed further on in the page).

Also go to Chiesa del Gesù in the morning, as it closes after lunch and it would be a pity to miss it. I would perhaps leave it to Tuesday morning, to visit it together with the market Ballarò, but it depends on what you will do later that day and if you'll get a guide.

And, seriously, add Chiesa di Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio to your list. On Sunday it will be closed, but you can visit on Monday after Palazzo dei Normanni on the way back to get the bus to Mondello.

Consider that you get discounts in the entrance price of some monuments if you see others, so don't throw away the tickets. Have a good trip!

Dublin
Level Contributor
54 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Palermo end of August

Thank you Vagabona and Marco for your recommendations. No particular reason for 'walk to the port' just thought it would be a pleasant stroll!! However I guess we would be going in the wrong direction.

Now plan to go towards the Cattedrale and Oratoria Santa Cita on Sunday and I am sure we will come across some nice places to eat along the way.

On Monday we will take in Norman Palace and Palatine Chapel possibly with a visit to Mondello in the afternoon.

Tuesday we will check out market areas and a visit to Montreale. There is so much to see and do in Palermo one cant help but feel overwhelmed. Personally I will want to hit the road running but my husband is more 'laid back'. Greatly looking forward to our visit and thanks again for your recommendations.

Palermo, Italy
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
117 reviews
5. Re: Palermo end of August

You're welcome wishfulDublin. It's true that having so many things to see can feel overwhelming, but it's also true that the historic center of Palermo is denser than it is bigger, so you don't have to go over very long distances to reach the next place to see.

Forgive me for insisting (of course it's your visit so decide how it's better for you), but really consider adding Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio. It's in an extremely central position (you'll pass by it for sure), it's much cheaper than Cappella Palatina, and the entrance price should be combined with that of Oratorio di Santa Cita. Price that is also combined with Chiesa di Santa Caterina, which is right in front (and at least one between Santa Caterina or Chiesa del Gesù should be seen). From the point of view of time, visiting Ballarò, Chiesa del Gesù, Chiesa di Santa Caterina and Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio all in one morning and then going to get the bus for Monreale is perfectly doable without running, they're all very close (to save time, in Chiesa del Gesù you can visit only the church instead of the whole complex, which is also cheaper). I only insist because if it was me visiting I wuold really wish that somebody told me "come on, get in"...but of course you can decide at the moment if this is alright or too much for you. Hope you'll have a good time in any case :)

Palermo, Italy
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
117 reviews
6. Re: Palermo end of August

I forgot, of course a walk to the port where cruise ships arrive wouldn't make sense, but do take a stroll along the touristic harbor, which is very close to piazza Marina. It's a nice area, with view on Monte Pellegrino across the sea. And furthermore, from there you can also see the mural painting that was done only a couple of weeks ago, representing the judges Falcone and Borsellino killed by mafia in 1992 (true heroes for the city (the judges, not mafia)).

Dublin
Level Contributor
54 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Palermo end of August

Thanks Marco once again for your very helpful recommendations. I can see that you are very passionate about your city and your help is greatly appreciated. Over the past months I have read from time to time about both ancient and recent history of Palermo city and it seems only fitting that a tribute to Falcone and Borsellino should be displayed even if it is 25 years since those terrible times.

Armed with all the good advice on this forum I am sure we will have a lovely time in Palermo and will report back after our visit on our return.

Palermo, Italy
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
117 reviews
8. Re: Palermo end of August

No problem wishfulDublin, and I'm glad you're going to visit the city already with some knowledge of its history, it makes a difference. Palermo unfortunately is the city with the worst recent history in Italy (excluding natural disaster like earthquakes, of course), and the signs of its history are still very visible. But the city has come a long way from 25 years ago, and I see the situation getting better by the year. You're right, the mural was a great tribute.

If you're interested in reading a bit more, to know a bit better what to expect, you could look at this older discussion (also full of many other hints for the visit):

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187…

It's always great for us when people report back to let us know how the trip went, so thank you in advance for that!

Edited: 04 August 2017, 07:34
9. Re: Palermo end of August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2018, 14:19