We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days West Coast Sicily August - Help !

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
10 days West Coast Sicily August - Help !

Hi

Can anyone help me plan my itinerary for my 10 day trip to Sicily in August. I will be travelling with my partner and it is the first time for us in Sicily so we need a little advice. The main aim is to see some beautiful scenery in the form of clear blue sea, nature/hills, eat well and have an adventure.

We want to hire a car (seen lots of posts about booking through reputable companies only) and see as much as possible. A couple of friends have suggested places we must visit but it has left us more confused than ever. So far we have Trapni, Favignana, Mazzara, Marsala, Eric (although not sure about this) for 3-4 days then Sciacca, Agrigento and finally Scala dei Turchi.

Is this too much to fit in 10 days or can we do it? Anything you would miss out, or new places to visit? Would really appreciate if someone could give us more options or opinions on the above?

Thank you

Vivian

California
Level Contributor
12,607 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: 10 days West Coast Sicily August - Help !

hi: we went to Sicily in October 2014 for 15 days and it was truly remarkable....my first suggestion to your request for "more options" is to grab a guidebook on Sicily....DK is great for a user-friendly format...you will find oodles of wonderful ideas on each region, pictures, 'must sees', hidden gems, maps, nightlife .....suggestions on beach trips, antiquity trips, famous cities, UNESCO World Heritage sites, Greek and Roman ruins, etc...make notes of what interests you and create a trip that stems from that, as well as incorporating some suggestions from others. August will be very hot in Sicily.

So far you have listed 8 destinations and you have 10 days....so yes, that's too much. Be mindful of how many times you pack and unpack, change hotels and sit in your car every day.....destination expert, Vagabonda, will hopefully reply with her gracious guidance.

Edited: 31 July 2017, 07:08
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,530 posts
2. Re: 10 days West Coast Sicily August - Help !

Welcome to Sicily SwingsundRoundabouts!

August is the peak of our tourist season, and you are very, very late for booking anything in August.

And August is NOTHING like October!!

August is the least attractive month to visit Sicily as it's hot, crowded, and expensive.

San Vito Lo Capo will be mobbed, beyond mobbed, and you probably won't secure a booking, or you would pay exorbitant rates.

Head to the Southwest as a base, and then strike out on day trips.

Secluded beach north/east in Sicily?:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18788…

The coast around Siculiana, Torre Salsa, and Riserva Naturale Orientata Torre Salsa is really very beautiful.

http://www.wwftorresalsa.com/

sicilly trip report:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18788…

Vagabonda

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: 10 days West Coast Sicily August - Help !

Hi Vagabonda,

Do you recommend going to the East Coast perhaps or will it be just as crowded and expensive?

Thank you for the tips on the quieter beaches, this is really what we are looking for.

Do you recommend we stay in Trapani still? Then head further south? Should we attempt the Egadi Islands?

Thank you so much

Vivian

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
155 reviews
4. Re: 10 days West Coast Sicily August - Help !

With 10 days I would likely do no more than two bases, adding a third at a push. It's peak season so accommodation costs are at their highest.

I like Sciacca and I think Trapani would suit as another base. With the heat, factor in some relaxation and accept Sicily is too big to see in one trip, even if you focus on east or west.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: 10 days West Coast Sicily August - Help !

Hi XaghraDream

I am going to have to agree with you on that, after some more research I think my original plan was too overzealous and too complicated. In the August I think we wouljd prefer to take it a little slower and enjoy each base more

So now the plan is

3 days in Trapani - day trip to Favignana and the coves of Zingaro (fingers crossed)

3 days in Sciacca to explore Siculiana, Torre Salsa, and Riserva Naturale Orientata Torre Salsa

4 days in Agrigento area day trip Scala dei Turchi, the temples and San Leone

Does this sound like a good plan or would you recommend staying longer in one of the bases?

Thank you

Vivian

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,530 posts
6. Re: 10 days West Coast Sicily August - Help !

Hi Vivian,

Typically the Southwest, and the Southeast have been quieter areas, but the Southeast has gained in popularity. The area around Tindari is local, and a possible consideration.

The Selinunte and Sciacca areas serve well for the southern, but also the western coasts.

SCIACCA'S BEACHES & BEACH SERVICES:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g580230-c173921/Sciac…

Trapani is a small city, but it does have beaches, and it is a convenient base to visit the beach at San Vito Lo Capo, and also Favignana, but you could also consider Marsala as a base.

Liberty Lines runs hydrofoil service to the Egady from Marsala as well as Trapani. Book your crossings in advance online not to be disappointed.

If you'd still like to consider the area around San Vito Lo Capo, you might consider Macari.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,530 posts
7. Re: 10 days West Coast Sicily August - Help !

Yes, that's a reasonable itinerary.

Where will you arrive, and depart Sicily?

Depending on your flight schedules, you might position either your first, or your final base nearer the airport (assuming Trapani Birgi, but perhaps Aeroporto Palermo) to accommodate your more challenging flight schedule.

Vagabonda

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: 10 days West Coast Sicily August - Help !

Hi Vagabonda,

We land on 21st August and leave 31st August, flying into and departing from Palermo. I booked without realizing that this is literally the busiest time !! I am a little more relieved now that a plan is coming together... thank you for your help, very much appreciated.

I was also concerned about how to get back up to Palermo from Agrigento on 31st August. Do you think we could drive through inland? If so, any places you recommend as a pit stop?

Thank you so much

Vivian

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,530 posts
9. Re: 10 days West Coast Sicily August - Help !

Hi Vivian,

Even with a plan, availability might dictate in the end. It's really imperative that you book as soon as possible.

Optimally, you would end nearer the airport, and so perhaps position Trapani at the end of your route.

Drive autostrada, especially to the airport, and not the more challenging inland routes.

Vagabonda

10. Re: 10 days West Coast Sicily August - Help !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2018, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Palermo
Recent Conversations