We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental at Syracuse/Hancock

Poughkeepsie
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental at Syracuse/Hancock

Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental! Now the same company, now the same horrible service.

I wish I had read the threads on problems people have had with Avis-Budget Car Rental sooner. I had a visitor from Spain who wanted to rent a car, so I drove with him in person to the Budget-Avis car rental desk at Syracuse, NY, Hancock International Airport. The guy at the counter was nice, appeared helpful; he said he did not have an economy car available with navigation, but that there were premium cars available at $140 a day. We reserved one of these for pick-up, provided the credit card number, driver's license etc. and he printed out the rental information. When we went back to pick up the car the two women at the desk acted incredulous - no car was available and there was no such reservation; though we had the paper with reservation number on it that the original attendant had given us. The most annoying part was not that they had no car - they could have just apologized and said this was an error. But rather their attitude was that we were lying; "We do not have any vehicles like that or at that price" "Who did you talk to?" "What was his name?" We "could not possibly have reserved a vehicle." Fortunately, I walked 50 feet, asked the very friendly guys at the National rental desk if they had a car and we rented a vehicle for half the price.

And what is up with Avis-Budget having two desks? These are right beside each other, with the same attendants, and the same list of vehicles. It was like a movie comedy; We had originally gone to the "Budget" desk. When we went to pick up the car the two women attendants were laughing and talking with each other at the "Avis" desk. When we went went to the Budget desk they became very serious, and looked dubiously at us "Budget?".

10 replies to this topic
G M
Level Contributor
310 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental at Syracuse/Hancock

This is the Italy forum.

Poughkeepsie
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental at Syracuse/Hancock

Hi all -

Yes; I know this is the Italy Forum, but the issue with Avis/Budget seems pervasive. Apologies for cross-posting.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,732 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental at Syracuse/Hancock

Avis in the US has nothing to do with Avis in Italy.

Donna

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,769 posts
4. Re: Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental at Syracuse/Hancock

There really is a difference country to country, and so please post on the appropriate forum to assist travellers hiring from that location.

Vagabonda

Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
735 posts
145 reviews
5. Re: Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental at Syracuse/Hancock

Siracusa, Sicily - Syracuse, NY. That’s about the extent of the relevance of this post.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,769 posts
6. Re: Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental at Syracuse/Hancock

Exactly....

Vagabonda

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,166 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental at Syracuse/Hancock

Posted in wrong Syracuse.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,769 posts
8. Re: Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental at Syracuse/Hancock

Yes....

Here's the link to the Syracuse New York forums GDFOODNY.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g48713…

Vagabonda

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
335 posts
1 review
9. Re: Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental at Syracuse/Hancock

dbabe, Avis Budget Group has consolidated totally and owns Avis USA, Avis Italy and Budget and Payless and Maggiore and Amico Blue. https:/…corporate-facts

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,732 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental at Syracuse/Hancock

They may own them but they don't operate in the same way. /avis Italy has nothing to do with how they are run in the US. Avis in Italy is actually really good and one of the companies often recommended.

Donna

Reply to: Avoid using Avis-Budget Car Rental at Syracuse/Hancock
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Catania