We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any fellow Aussies booked through Autoeurope Aus or US

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Any fellow Aussies booked through Autoeurope Aus or US

Hi

Looking at both the autoeurope Australia and US sites.

Anyone had any experience using either site for car rental in Sicily. Finding it hard to understand the T&C for insurance on both sites.

Any help would be appreciated.

35 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,675 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Any fellow Aussies booked through Autoeurope Aus or US

Avoid the US site. From comments posted by US residents, it seems to follow US practice of not including all taxes in the headline price. In my experience, autoeurope.com.au includes all taxes and good insurance. The same for www.driveaway.com.au

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,385 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Any fellow Aussies booked through Autoeurope Aus or US

I book through the US site, everything is included just like the European sites. Tax is included in the total.

Not sure what you mean.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,675 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Any fellow Aussies booked through Autoeurope Aus or US

I recall somebody (perhaps Sarastro) posting that AutoEurope USA's quoted prices did not include fees for airport pickup and various other "compulsory extras". But that was a while ago, and things may have changed. There really is no substitute for sitting down and reading the T&C.

I would always prefer the Australian company because there is someone reasonably local to deal with, and there are the protections given by Australian consumer law.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,385 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Any fellow Aussies booked through Autoeurope Aus or US

It make sense that an Australian would book through Australian site.

I have used the .com, .it, .de and .uk, whichever had the best deals that year...

Now the .com is really competitive, this year I didn’t even have to pay the ‘road tax’, or whatever our government (I mean the Italian Gov.) comes up with every few years.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: Any fellow Aussies booked through Autoeurope Aus or US

I've tried using the local Australian site (both actually) to book cars for next July and it shows no availability. Am I booking too early do you think?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,675 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Any fellow Aussies booked through Autoeurope Aus or US

There is no way that all rental cars would already be booked for next July.

United States
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Any fellow Aussies booked through Autoeurope Aus or US

My most recent (Oct) rental voucher for Hertz through AutoEurope is very clear on all included fees. The exclusions (fees for traffic violations and admin fees for extra damages and station fees for airport/train station pickup) are easy to read. The deposit hold is specified. I paid nothing extra than what was stated on the voucher.

I wish people with no personal knowledge or experience of a situation would refrain from posting incorrect information.

TAB

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Any fellow Aussies booked through Autoeurope Aus or US

Thank you everyone for your replies. From what I can understand on the aus website you would still be liable for excess, correct me if I'm wrong. There is no option for zero excess? On the US site you can choose to have zero deductible (which I assume is the same term as oz excess)?

If anyone could share some light.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Any fellow Aussies booked through Autoeurope Aus or US

Melbmeg1 I did the same search both on the oz & US site for the same dates and location and oz site had availability but US site didn't. Not sure why that would be the case.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
34 reviews
10. Re: Any fellow Aussies booked through Autoeurope Aus or US

If you cant figure it out just call autoeurope. They are very helpful and wonderful to work with. They will price match and set up special arrangements if needed.

Reply to: Any fellow Aussies booked through Autoeurope Aus or US
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted