We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of purchasing ceramics at "Rapisarda Ceramiche"

montauk, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Beware of purchasing ceramics at "Rapisarda Ceramiche"

I purchased a lot of ceramic pieces in Taormina at a place "Rapisarda Ceramiche", I paid more than double the cost of the pieces to have it shipped to the US and insured (over $600 US). They assured me that if there was any problem that all I had to do was let them know within 5 days and it would be replaced, no problem. Well of course 2 of the larger identical pieces arrived broken and I called that day to tell them, got the wrong number so I sent an email with pictures of the subpar wrapping job, packaging and the broken pieces and all I got back after over a week is sorry, you signed for it, not our problem. they wrapped it in cardboard with tape and a thin piece of styrofoam- a 2 foot long piece of unglazed ceramic. My point is make sure your deal with reputable dealers and if possible, the actual artists themselves. These were just people reselling the art of others, they couldn't care less about the artist the art or YOU. I bought beautiful pieces in Scicli for the artist himself that were 10x more beautiful and half the price to buy and ship and guess what, everything arrived perfectly. I wish I had waited and never purchased anything in such a commercial part of Sicily. Buyer beware.

10 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,698 posts
1. Re: Beware of purchasing ceramics at "Rapisarda Ceramiche"

The insurance will cover the loss, yes? Or, is there a problem with that issue as well?

montauk, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Beware of purchasing ceramics at "Rapisarda Ceramiche"

It was their package insurance which they are refusing

montauk, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Beware of purchasing ceramics at "Rapisarda Ceramiche"

I'm dealing with my credit card company as well to try and dispute it but its a huge disappointment on the shops side.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,609 posts
478 reviews
4. Re: Beware of purchasing ceramics at "Rapisarda Ceramiche"

Are you saying that your insurance claim has been denied? If so, on what grounds?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,796 posts
5. Re: Beware of purchasing ceramics at "Rapisarda Ceramiche"

Yes, how is your insurance claim being denied?

Vagabonda

montauk, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Beware of purchasing ceramics at "Rapisarda Ceramiche"

The store is refusing to use their insurance on the package, even though it was their insurance that I was forced to purchase. It was also their reassurance that if anything broke that it would be no problem as long as I notified them within 5 days. Nothing could be further from the truth. They didn't respond to my multiple emails for 2 weeks and then simply said that their insurance would not cover it because it was not reported to the postman who delivered the package. This was never discussed or written. Their only response to me has been no more than 4 total words. Regardless, I'm trying to pursue it on any angle I can but alas, I'm left with nothing but broken ceramics and maybe someday some partial insurance refund. Very disappointing and it doesn't have to be that way because there are so many wonderful and reputable ceramic artists to buy from who will properly package your merchandise and truly care about your happiness with it for many years to come. Just take the time to learn who you are buying from, that's all.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,698 posts
7. Re: Beware of purchasing ceramics at "Rapisarda Ceramiche"

They have their own insurance? When I have had things shipped, it has usually been with DHL and I purchased the insurance through them.

If they are using a company to which they are not affiliated (which would seem likely), maybe you could contact them directly with your insurance confirmation information along with photos, shipping date, etc? Or is there no way to do that?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,796 posts
8. Re: Beware of purchasing ceramics at "Rapisarda Ceramiche"

Well I just contacted Ceramiche Rapisarda.

The woman at the shop seemed surprised, and indicated that she hasn't received any emails.

She suggested sending another email. I respectfully asked that she continue to check the shops emails.

www.ceramicherapisarda.it

www.ceramicherapisarda.it/it/contatti.html

She doesn't speak English.

Good luck!

Vagabonda

montauk, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Beware of purchasing ceramics at "Rapisarda Ceramiche"

Wow thank you so much for doing this on my behalf. I have received emails from them but am letting the credit card insurance handle it. Next time I will be much more clear about how things will work. Thank you again for your kindness!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,796 posts
10. Re: Beware of purchasing ceramics at "Rapisarda Ceramiche"

It was my pleasure trishmontauk!

Thankfully the shop responded and you received emails.

Hope there's a positive solution for you.

Best regards,

Vagabonda

Reply to: Beware of purchasing ceramics at "Rapisarda Ceramiche"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted