We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 day trip Sicily - September/October 2019 -

Tuckahoe, NY
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
16 day trip Sicily - September/October 2019 -

Wow...started this planning with 2 weeks between Sicily & Greece. After reading the books and these forums to find out I want to spend all the time in SIcily and looks like I will need even more time. So excited to plan this trip, but having a hard time picking and choosing what to see. We are 3 couples in our 60's and active - no one wants to drive. So we plan on bus, train and when all else fails a driver for the longer hauls between bases. Need some more guidance from this knowledgeable group. Probably can stretch the visit to 16-17 days. So here's my ideas so far and please any input would be appreciated.

Fly into Palermo

Palermo 3 nights (day trips? Cefalu & Trapani)

Palermo - Agrigento via train (2 hrs) - 1 night (Valley of the Temples)

Agrigento - Siracusa - via car (2 1/2 hrs. 365 Euro) - 3 nights (day trips? Ragusa, Noto)

Siracusa - Taomina - 3 nights via train (2 hrs)

Taomina - Catania - 3 nights via train (1 hr 15 mins)

Fly out of Catania

That's 5 bases - 13 days - so I can play around with another 3-4 days. Suggestions?

Also, I'm reading that Taomina could be very touristy and expensive, but sounds like it can't be missed. Should we base out of somewhere else & travel for the day there?

Much appreciated!

Diane

8 replies to this topic
Virginia
Level Contributor
224 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: 16 day trip Sicily - September/October 2019 -

Sicily is fabulous! We just returned from 3 wks in Sicily and with Vagabonda's input had a wonderful itinerary.

We flew R/T Catania..Spent 4nights Ortigia, 2 Agrigento, 4 Trapani (outskirts) 5 Cefalu w easy train to Palermo 2x, finished w 3 nights Taormina. I would day trip to Ragusa from Ortigia, We always stayed in a hotel on the beach or with a pool for a break between touring and dining and it was wonderful. We had a driver pick us up at airport and take us to hotel in Ortigia (80E) and one to take us to Catania Airport Hotel night before departing (80E) Otherwise rented a car leaving Ortigia & drove everywhere. We are independent travelers and find changing hotels daily a waste of time. Cefalu hotel was on the beach w easy walk into lovely town & easy train to Palermo which was interesting but not a destination for us. We started and ended in luxury boutique hotels and filled in with small mid range hotels. Glad to give you hotel info if interested.

Tuckahoe, NY
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: 16 day trip Sicily - September/October 2019 -

Thanks! We are 6 people so driving is not an option. Besides no one wants to be the driver and car would have to be a van. I’m curious why you flew in and out of same airport? Always thought open jaw was the way to go. I would be curious to hear about your hotels, but again they would have to be near some transportion. Did you think Taomina was crowded and touristy?

Diane

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: 16 day trip Sicily - September/October 2019 -

Hi! I'm planning a trip in August to Sicily and would love any/all beachfront hotels that you would recommend. Thanks!

Tuckahoe, NY
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: 16 day trip Sicily - September/October 2019 -

I'm hoping to get additional help on this rough itinerary from Vagabonda. I'm wondering if it makes sense to fly into 1 - Palermo and out of Catania, 2-If the days at each city seems too rushed, 3 - Would it make more more sense to fly into Palermo circle around the island and fly out of Palermo.

I see you are the resident expert and would appreciate your advice.

Thanks!

Diane

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: 16 day trip Sicily - September/October 2019 -

Hi Diane,

A couple of thing to think about.

3 nts in Palermo gives you 2 full days + maybe a 1/2 day upon arrival. If you do 2 day trips to Cefalu and Trapani, when will you see Palermo?

Same with your nts for Siracusa. 3 nts gives you 2.5 days. A day trip to Ragusa/Noto will leave you with just 1.5 days for Ortigia/Siracusa itself. There is a lot to see and enjoy and 1.5 days is not nearly enough.

The reverse, 3 nts in Taormina. 2.5 days. What to you plan to do there? Is 2.5 days enough or too much?

You need to study up on what there is to see and do in each area before you know if you have the right number of days alotted for each location. Don't plan 3 days in Catania and Taormina just because 3 days sounds right.

Also, take as many days for Sicily as you possible can! You will not be sorry.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: 16 day trip Sicily - September/October 2019 -

PS - traveling with the 6 people will take 3 x as long to do anything the two of you usually do. Factor that in to your planning. Also, I can't help wondering if your 6 has traveled together before. If so, and you know you enjoy it, great. If not, better do some honest talking, set the ground rules, and make sure all are on the same page!

Edited: 15 November 2018, 14:02
Tuckahoe, NY
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: 16 day trip Sicily - September/October 2019 -

Yes, we are totally aware and prepared for traveling with 6. They are very close friends. Hopefully will be so after we spend all that time together. Lol. So I will revamp my itinerary. What would you suggest as basses for 16 days?

Diane

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: 16 day trip Sicily - September/October 2019 -

Its hard to recommend base locations when we have no idea of your group's interests. Why did you choose Sicily? What sounded appealing to you and the five others? With 6, there is probably going to be a number of different priorities.

I could tell you what I did, but that was my trip based on a lot of reading trip reports and guide books over a few years. It took me a while to get to Sicily due to life and work delays.

What do you want your trip to be?

Reply to: 16 day trip Sicily - September/October 2019 -
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted