We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambitious Itinerary

rsa
Peregian Springs...
Level Contributor
906 posts
39 reviews
Ambitious Itinerary

Hello,

We will be arriving from Malta at Pozzallo and plan to spend 7 days in Sicily before catching a flight from Catania to Athens.

As we will be close to Modica I thought we could stay there 2 nights, visiting Ragusa on the second day

My thought then is a train or bus to Noto ( for one night) Arrive early in the morning and depart after lunch the next day.

Then onto Saricusa for one night

Finally for 3 nights Catania, visiting Mt Etna one of these days on the Circumetnea Railway.

My dilemma is are we trying to run around too much. We think a couple of nights in one place is good but not that keen on One night stays. We will be using public transport throughout our trip and don't forget about the luggage!

Should we try to squeeze another day or two into the Itinerary.?

Should we delete a night somewhere and include it somewhere else combining more day trips.

After Sicily we will be visiting the Greek Islands and resting.! We will probably need it .

I look forward to valuable comments with regard to my Sicily Itierary and recommendations.

Regards

RSA

6 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
12,831 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Ambitious Itinerary

If one can add time to a trip, even a day or two, that would be beneficial. We were in Sicily in 2014 for 15 nights and had a great adventure. I feel you do not need an overnight in Noto but you do need more than 1 night in Siracuse/Ortigia. After morning rituals, travel time and check in time, 1 night anywhere ends up being 1/2 day in the location and especially so if every other minute is rushed. Siracuse/Ortigia need 3 nights (2 full days). Also, consider that with limited time it isn’t necessary to see every Baroque town.

Edited: 18 July 2018, 00:37
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,835 posts
2. Re: Ambitious Itinerary

Welcome to Sicily rsa!

If you can add days to your trip, then certainly do!

When exactly?

And what day of the week, and what time would you arrive in Pozzallo if you intend public transport onward to Modica, and then Ragusa the following day?

Spend three nights in Siracusa, and perhaps day trip to Noto one evening. You would then enjoy the flexibility of deciding if you'd like more time in Siracusa, or seeing Noto, and still another Baroque town.

And with three nights in Siracusa, you could spend the day after your second night in Modica still exploring the Modica area if more time is required, and then arrive in Siracusa for dinner and the night, and to positon for two full days in Siracusa.

It isn't necessary to see all the Baroque towns.

And surely Siracusa has a lot to see and do.

Spend two nights in Catania.

You could arrive early from Siracusa and enjoy Catania on arrival, and then take the Circumetnea the following day.

You will not visit Mount Etna via the Circumetnea. The Circumetnea travels the flank towns around Etna only.

if you'd like to actually step foot on Etna, then take the AST bus from Catania to Etna.

Vagabonda

rsa
Peregian Springs...
Level Contributor
906 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Ambitious Itinerary

Hello,

Many thanks for your replies and great advice.

We will be arriving in Modica on Saturday the 1st of June. 2019.Plan to take an early ferry from Malta.

If we travel Modica to Ragusa. on Sunday the 2nd of June, will this be a problem? I thought public transport on Sunday's are limited.. Maybe a taxi service to Ragusa.

We will add 3 nights in Siracusa.

I will take onboard that we do need to see all of the Baroque towns. Quality rather than quantity! This is why I want to get it right.

Looking forward to further comments.

RSA

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,835 posts
4. Re: Ambitious Itinerary

I June in 2019 is a Saturday, so still feriale (weekday) public transport schedules would prevail, although not yet available.

But Sundays are challenging to travel in this province as there is typically no train service, and little to no bus service.

So perhaps prearrange a transfer to Ragusa.

The three night in Siracusa is a good amount of time.

And yes, avoid 1-night stays, and increase time in bases, and then enjoy day trips.

Vagabonda

rsa
Peregian Springs...
Level Contributor
906 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Ambitious Itinerary

Hello,

Many thanks Vagabond for your valuable comments.

Have been looking up ferry times, prices etc (although not for June 2019)\

Direct ferries.com have Virtu Ferries departing Valletta Saturdays at 5.00 am arriving Pozzallo at 6.45 AM or another one at 18.30 arriving 20.15. The price for either was $347 AUD. Taken back by the price.!!!

Direct Ferries also offer Grimaldi ferries -Valletta to Catania for $145 AUD. Dep Valletta at 4.00 AM Arr. Catania at 11.00 AM. That sounds a better price, but would through the Itinerary. Or would it?

Did have on file Taxi Carbonara who will do private transfers to Modica, Ragusa and Siracusa, but as yet have not contacted them. This might be a good option but a costly one.

Will not be visiting Taormina which has been mentioned a lot on this forum. Maybe if we changed the Itinerary to include Ferry Valletta to Catania, we could then go Catania-Taormina-Siracusa and not stay at Modica. So far not happy with this option as my research has shown that Modica and Ragusa would be places we would enjoy. Any thoughts?

I think I have said enough for now. Looking forward to replies.

Regards

RSA

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,835 posts
6. Re: Ambitious Itinerary

Italians always have more to say rsa, so I amused at your comment that "I think I have said enough for now".

It is early for planning 2019.

We are not even at our peak tourist season for 2018.

There are very inexpensive flight between Malta and Catania on Ryanair and Air Malta.

But check Virtua Ferries next year for accurate and current rates.

There are many local drivers you could contact as well as public transport options.

And yes, Ragusa, Modica, Scicli, and Siracusa are great destinations.

Even if more time would be advantageous, your allocated time here is also acceptable.

Vagabonda

Reply to: Ambitious Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted